Program Manager, Operational Excellence- Manufacturing Operations Error Prevention & Performance
Those who join Emergent BioSolutions feel a sense of ownership about their future. You will excel in an environment characterized by respect, innovation and growth opportunities. Here, you will join passionate professionals who advance their scientific, technical and professional skills to develop products designed-to protect life.
I. JOB SUMMARY
The Program Manager, Operational Excellence (OE) - Manufacturing Operations Error Prevention and Performance applies their biotech manufacturing-related operations experience, error prevention (EP) knowledge, and EP program experience to partner in the development and deployment of an error prevention program. This hands-on role leads the integration of human error prevention thinking and practices into the Manufacturing Operations OE program and manufacturing site roadmap. This individual works with a broad range of Emergent leadership, management, staff and stakeholders to drive ‘safety first’, quality and first-time-right operations mindsets and behaviors. This person helps to deploy tools and approaches involving human error analytics, learning, controls evaluations, problem solving, error reduction, error prevention, process improvement, operations resiliency, and the deployment of self-sustaining EP-related OE capabilities and systems.
The success of this role requires close collaboration and frequent interaction with Manufacturing; Human Resources; Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS); Global Quality; Engineering and other functional elements supporting manufacturing and supply chain operations.
II. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Lead and coordinate elements of the overall Human Error Prevention (HEP) program strategy and plan within manufacturing.
• Partner with leaders and individual contributors, and lead efforts in manufacturing to strengthen work preparation and execution, work observations, open reporting, and post-work learning necessary to improve operational reliability and resilience.
• Coordinate and standardize the development of pre-job briefs, one-point lessons, and facilitation of after-action reviews; Drive EP ‘learning practices’ across all areas of operations; incorporate adoption of error reduction and prevention tools into tiered meeting and management KPIs.
• Participate in deviation investigations and model methods that improve the abilities of investigation participants; partner with Quality to improve human error understanding, analytics, learning, root cause analysis and corrective/preventive actions, and broadly disseminate practical application across plant operations.
• Collaborate with members of EHS, Quality, Operational Excellence (OE), and other functional areas to ensure consistent approaches and leveraging of best practices for the improvement of operational reliability and resilience.
• Design and deploy sustainable systems for tracking and reporting of results from EP activities, including progress to plan and business impact.
• Facilitate EP learning activities; develop HEP practitioner competencies across OE staff; Act as a coach mentor on EP and continuous improvement culture, techniques and best practices.
• Deploy methods of measuring human error performance in alignment with organizational goals. Facilitate periodic HEP program maturity assessments.
• Deploy effective digital technology to enable and simplify access and use of HEP tools and templates and enhance operational learning.
• Lead a HEP community of practice activities designed to develop, apply and learn from site HEP experiences
• Participates as an active member of the Manufacturing Tier Teams to drive process and culture change associated with Behavior Based Performance.
• Act as a change agent promoting continuous improvement, engagement, innovation and inclusion with by incorporating Emergent principles into HEP-related staff interactions
The above statements are intended to describe the nature of work performed by those in this job and are not an exhaustive list of all duties. Nothing in this job description restricts managements right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time which reflects management’s assignment of essential functions.
III. MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS
• Bachelor’s degree required in Science or Engineering discipline. Advanced degree preferred in engineering, science, technology, social science, or management.
• Advanced knowledge and experience in HEP, also known as behavior-based quality, behavior-based safety, Safety-II, Safety Differently, Human Performance (HP), and / or resilience engineering.
• 2-4 years of experience in industrial (preferably biotech manufacturing) related operations, with 1-3 years of error prevention program deployment or implementation.
• 2-4 years of experience participating in, preferably leading, human performance-related analytics, error prevention/reduction efforts in technical operations in either a safety, quality or OE capacity
• Strong leadership presence and the ability to influence manufacturing team members to improve operational reliability and resilience.
• A proven track record as a hands-on leader in the deployment of continuous improvement that achieves strong, positive results.
• Deep experience in the performance of causal analysis and incident investigation.
• Strength in data analytical methods; experience and facility with Excel, Access and statistical packages such as Minitab and/or JMP
• Excellent interpersonal, communication (written and verbal), and advanced presentation and facilitation skills.
• Excellent meeting management skills, including design, preparation and facilitation.
• Must possess knowledge of project management and experience of collaborating cross- functionally with teams.
• Excellent organization, time management and project management skills, able to balance multiple projects and initiatives.
• Self-motivating, inspiring others, and collaborative with a bias for action in the achievement of adaptive moves that nudge the organization in a positive direction.
• Demonstrates courage and transparency with the ability to deal with challenge and conflicts.
Successful applicants for this position must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Individuals with qualifying medical issues or sincerely held religious beliefs or practices that may prevent them from getting the vaccine may request an exemption from the vaccine requirement.
There are physical/mental demands and work environment characteristics that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. This information is available upon request from the candidate.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform all essential functions.
Emergent BioSolutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and values the diversity of our workforce. Emergent does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Emergent BioSolutions does not accept non-solicited resumes or candidate submittals from search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list. Unsolicited resumes or candidate information submitted to Emergent BioSolutions by search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list shall become the property of Emergent BioSolutions and if the candidate is subsequently hired by Emergent BioSolutions, Emergent BioSolutions shall not owe any fee to the submitting agency.