Principal Device Engineer (Mechanical)
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
We are looking for an experienced Principal Device Engineer (Mechanical) to join our Device Development team to contribute to the development and launch of exciting new drug / device combination products.
Within Device Development, the Product Engineering group is responsible for developing products informed by user needs and product requirements, completing feasibility assessments involving prototyping and lab testing, and ultimately supporting design and verification activities that result in robust devices. These devices enable the delivery of AbbVie’s innovative medicines targeted at difficult-to-cure diseases with the goal of making a remarkable impact on people’s lives.
As a Principal Device Engineer (Mechanical) you would be part of a multi-disciplinary team of professionals working at the intersection of engineering and biopharmaceuticals. The problems you would help to solve relate not only to the function of innovative electromechanical devices, but also the way in which they interact with drug products and the human body. If you are a self-motivated person who thrives on solving complex problems and are excited by the idea of taking on the toughest health challenges, this opportunity might be for you.
- Device technology landscaping and early stage definition
- Feasibility assessment, including early prototyping, analysis and lab testing
- Executing feasibility and engineering confidence tests to determine design viability and margin
- Design Outputs planning and ownership of Design Output Reviews
- Support of delivery system reliability
- Design Verification support (test method development, issue resolution)
- Root cause analysis and corrective action
- Analytical modeling of key performance attributes
- Collaborating with external global manufacturing and development partners
- Some travel required
Requisite Skills & Qualifications
- MS in Mechanical Engineering (BS considered with commensurate experience)
- 12-18 years of experience including a substantial portion in the medical device and / or pharmaceutical industries
- Experience developing a range of mechanical, electromechanical and software-driven medical devices, preferably in the drug delivery space
- Detailed understanding of principles and practice of Design Controls (CFR 820.30 / ISO 13485) and Risk Management (ISO 14971)
- Strong communication skills (both written and verbal) including the ability to influence without direct authority
- Strong mechanical design and analytical skills
- Experience with physical prototyping (including 3D printing, manual machining, etc)
- Experience with a wide range of laboratory testing equipment and methods (force-displacement testing, high speed videography, data logging systems, etc)
- High level of proficiency with 3D CAD modeling, detailed engineering drawings, and GD&T
- Knowledge of material properties, material selection and manufacturing processes
- Expertise in computational analysis (FEA, system modeling, etc) and descriptive statistics
- Ability to create and manage schedules for sub-tasks and work streams for which you are responsible
- A keen eye for identifying project risks and proactively developing mitigation plans
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.