Scientific Technical Writer
We are currently searching for a Scientific Technical Writer to support The NIMH Office of Science Policy, Planning, and Communications (OSPPC) plans and directs a comprehensive strategic agenda for national mental health policy, including science program planning and related policy evaluation, research training and coordination, and technology and information transfer. The purpose of this position is to support the Science, Writing, Press and Dissemination Branch by writing and editing products that articulate, interpret, and explain a variety of subjects, tailored to specific media and audience. This opportunity is full-time, and it is on site in Rockville, MD.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Respond quickly to written email, standard mail, fax, and social media and telephone inquiries from members of the public including health professionals, scientists, researchers, patients and family members, and students in a timely, accurate, analytic, and articulate manner.
- Stay abreast of NIMH, NIH, and other HHS news releases, research topics and findings and health information relevant to the Institute and other HHS entities.
- Assess the newsworthiness and scientific importance of papers.
- Draft accurate, compelling, audience appropriate print, web, and social media content on a range of important and emerging mental health topics, such as press releases, research highlights, consumer brochures, fact sheets, and web content.
- Translate complex scientific information into plain language, and tailor this information for a variety of audiences and channels.
- Disseminate information and promote NIMH, NIH, and HHS products through a variety of communication channels.
- Research and compile background information and/or talking points for presentations, media interviews, blogs, etc.
- Implement communication plans for specific NIMH initiatives and activities.
Skills & Software:
- Excellent writing and editing skills, especially demonstrated experience in writing news items and other material about advances in neuroscience accurately and in a way that non-scientists would find interesting, understandable, and engaging.
- Experience assessing the significance of and writing about scientific advances and topics for varied national audiences with a broad range of scientific expertise, from scientists to clinicians, to the general public.
- Experience editing and verifying the scientific accuracy of material written by others, including those with scientific backgrounds and those with nonscientific backgrounds.
- Experience Implementing communication plans.
- Excellent analytical, organizational, and time management skills.
- Experience using multiple software programs, platforms, and tools, including Microsoft Office Suite (MS Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) and SharePoint.
- Ph. D. in Neuroscience, Psychology, or a related discipline
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience in science writing and editing about neuroscience or other biomedical sciences
- Ph.D. equivalents:
- Master's degree plus 3 years of specialized experience
- Bachelor's degree plus 5 years of specalized experience
Due to our contractual requirements, to be eligible for this role, you must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at time of hire.
Dovel Technologies and its Family of Companies (Medical Science & Computing and Ace Info Solutions) was acquired in October 2021.
Guidehouse is a leading global provider of consulting services to the public sector and commercial markets, with broad capabilities in management, technology, and risk consulting. By combining our public and private sector expertise, we help clients address their most complex challenges and navigate significant regulatory pressures focusing on transformational change, business resiliency, and technology-driven innovation. Across a range of advisory, consulting, outsourcing, and digital services, we create scalable, innovative solutions that help our clients outwit complexity and position them for future growth and success. The company has more than 12,000 professionals in over 50 locations globally. Guidehouse is a Veritas Capital portfolio company, led by seasoned professionals with proven and diverse expertise in traditional and emerging technologies, markets, and agenda-setting issues driving national and global economies.
Guidehouse is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, age, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.
Guidehouse will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law or ordinance, including the Fair Chance Ordinance of Los Angeles and San Francisco.
If you have visited our website for information about employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require accommodation, please contact Guidehouse Recruiting at 1-571-633-1711 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@guidehouse.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodation.
Guidehouse does not accept unsolicited resumes through or from search firms or staffing agencies. All unsolicited resumes will be considered the property of Guidehouse, and Guidehouse will not be obligated to pay a placement fee.