Scientist, Analytical Development
Vaxart is a clinical-stage biotechnology company developing a range of oral recombinant vaccines based on its proprietary delivery platform. Vaxart vaccines are administered using convenient room temperature-stable tablets that can be stored and shipped without refrigeration.
Vaxart has demonstrated that its proprietary tablet vaccine delivery platform is suitable to deliver recombinant vaccines, positioning the company to develop oral versions of currently marketed vaccines and to design recombinant vaccines for new indications. Its development programs currently include tablet vaccines designed to protect against coronavirus, norovirus, seasonal influenza, and respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), as well as a therapeutic vaccine for human papillomavirus (HPV), Vaxart’s first immuno-oncology indication.
Our mission is the promotion of global health through the development of effective vaccines that can be administered by tablet rather than by injection, providing for the simple and efficient distribution and administration of safe vaccines in any setting.
The Scientist (Bioanalytical Separation), is responsible for understanding, designing, executing, and reporting analytical bio separations techniques with a focus on both Capillary Electrophoresis (CE) and HPLC-based protein characterization for development and manufacture of Ad5 vectors used for oral vaccines. Familiarity with capillary and column chromatography methods including IEF, SDS PAGE, SEC, reverse phase, analytical ion-exchange, glycosylation profiling, and other techniques are required. You will be responsible for evaluating existing methods and develop new methods appropriate for product and process characterization, release testing, and for in-process testing of product and intermediates. The successful candidate will be expected to work with in-house and partnering QC organizations for assay transfer and assay validation, and with the process development group to support process improvements.
- Design and execute experimental protocols for assay development
- Management of one or two research associates
- Writes and/or reviews protocols, assay development reports, batch records, standard operating procedures, and other technical reports in support of manufacturing and process tech transfer with a focus on capillary and analytical HPLC techniques. Assures that results are properly archived and communicated.
- Responsible for understanding and applying data generated from experiments and literature used to modify/optimize process parameters. Evaluates new technology and procedures.
- Trains junior staff as appropriate in laboratory activities. Assures that training and compliance records for themselves and her/his direct reports are up to date and appropriate. Assures that all safety procedures are followed.
- Proactively communicates with internal and external stakeholders. Establish and foster relationships with contract manufacturing organizations.
- Ph.D. or M.S. in Analytical Chemistry, biochemistry, molecular biology, or related scientific disciplines with 3-5 years of experience in analytical development. Experience managing and mentoring direct reports is desirable.
- Experience with mammalian cell culture in a GMP environment.
- Prior experience in production and purification of viral products.
- Sterile techniques and hazardous/ infectious material handling experience.
- General or direct supervision to exempt employees and/or skilled nonexempt employees.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of QC issues.