Cancer Systems Biologist/Systems Immunologist
About the Role
As a Cancer Systems Biologist/Systems Immunologist on the Translational Science team at Freenome, you will apply bioinformatics, data science, and computational methods to analyze multi-omic data to to reveal, model, and interpret changes in both the cancer (pathways, gene activities, proteins) and the immune system (composition, activity, and repertoires) associated with clinical outcomes.
We partner with diverse groups including pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, academic research institutes, and hospitals. You will work with the medical team and business development team to design and execute studies with parties outside of Freenome. You will partner with the laboratory and computational research teams to generate multi-omic data, interpret the results, and develop new insights and discoveries.
How you’ll contribute:
- Apply computational and statistical approaches to analyze multi-omics data to generate new insights and interpretations with a focus on cancer biology, immunology and/or immuno-oncology
- Have and maintain an up-to-date domain expertise of cancer biology and immunology and its relevant quantitative approaches to provide new insights
- Leverage existing computational methods and develop new ones to extract immunological signals from existing and new data (e.g. immune cell composition, cancer pathways, repertoires analysis, cytokine pathways)
- Partner cross-functionally in the scientific planning and execution of collaborative projects, such as molecular and cancer biologists, immunologists, computational biologists, medical affairs, commercial, business development
- Execute research projects to model various biological changes resulting from diseases such as cancer, autoimmune disease, and infection with our partners
Freenome has adopted a COVID-19 vaccination policy to safeguard the health and well-being of our employees. As a condition of employment, our employees working on-site are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law.
What you’ll bring:
- PhD with research experience in a relevant, quantitative field such as systems biology/immunology, cancer bioinformatics, immunology, cancer biology, computational immunology, computational biology, etc. (postdoc/industry experience a plus)
- Deep experience in analyzing one or more ‘omics data type, such as epigenomics, proteomics, transcriptomics with knowledge of relevant databases
- Solid computational skills in R and/or Python with knowledge of statistical and machine learning packages
- Domain expertise in cancer biology and the human immune system, with particular emphasis on quantitative approaches (e.g. repertoire sequencing, high-throughput cytokine profiling, etc.)
- Excellent cross-functional communication and teamwork skills, working with both computational and experimental scientists
- A passion for innovation and demonstrated initiative in tackling new areas of research
- History of completing scientific projects in translational areas such as oncology and/or immunology
Freenome is on a mission to empower everyone with the tools they need to detect, treat, and ultimately prevent cancer.
We have pioneered the most comprehensive multiomics platform for early cancer detection through a routine blood draw. By combining deep expertise in molecular biology with advanced computational biology and machine learning techniques to recognize disease-associated patterns among billions of circulating, cell-free biomarkers, we are developing simple and accurate blood tests for early cancer detection and integrating the actionable insights into health systems to operationalize a machine learning feedback loop between care and science.
Our recent $270 Million Series C brings our financing to over $500 million from investors, including; Bain Capital, Perceptive Advisors, RA Capital, Polaris Partners, Andreessen Horowitz, funds and accounts advised by T. Rowe Price Associates, Inc., GV (formerly Google Ventures), Roche Venture Fund, Kaiser Permanente Ventures, American Cancer Society’s BrightEdge Ventures, Data Collective Venture Capital, Novartis and Verily Life Sciences.
Freenome is building technology to advance the understanding of cancer through multiple analytes derived from blood. These signals include cell-free DNA, methylation of cell-free DNA, cell-free RNA, circulating proteins, and immune profiling derived from thousands of prospective samples. By developing novel statistical learning methods and applying them to integrate various -omics datasets, Freenome is a leader in modeling specific biological mechanisms to capture disease-dependent signatures, including gene expression, immune response, tumor burden, the tissue of origin, and 3D chromatin structure.
By building comprehensive discovery datasets and modeling critical biological systems, Freenome is learning what biological changes are present within the blood between a variety of different disease states, including cancer, autoimmune disorders, infections, drug response, and aging. The synthesis of Freenome’s datasets, cross-functional technical expertise, and audacious mission to discover biological truth, we seek to improve the lives of millions through early detection and early treatment of disease.
Freenomers are technical, creative, visionary, grounded, empathetic, and passionate. We build teams around divergent expertise, allowing us to solve problems and ascertain opportunities in unique ways. Freenomers are some of the most talented experts in their fields, joining together to advance healthcare, one breakthrough at a time.
We value empathy, integrity, and trust in one another, and we respect the diverse perspectives of our colleagues and those we serve. We assume positive intent and give each other the benefit of the doubt with the firm belief that we are a team working toward the same objectives. We believe in empowering and supporting each other in a collaborative and dynamic environment.
What does a successful person look like at Freenome?
Those who thrive at Freenome prioritize, manage, and execute their own goals with ownership and alignment with those of the company. They embrace our values of empathy, integrity, striving for greatness, servant leadership, trust, and holding themselves and their team accountable to these values. They crave collaboration with brilliant minds from disparate fields of study and believe that hiring and mentorship are fundamental to our success. Above all, they welcome and provide constructive feedback and criticism, trusting in others’ good intentions, and being secure in knowing that embracing mistakes is the best way to learn and grow. For those who pursue challenges, understudied problems, and want the opportunity to see their work impact the lives of millions of people affected by cancer every year, there’s no better place to be than Freenome.
Freenome is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law.