Director, Protein Development
Freenome is seeking a Director, Protein Development
At Freenome, our goal is to improve patient outcomes by pioneering the next-generation of blood tests for early and accurate disease detection using our combined multiomics and machine learning platform. As the Director of Protein Development, you will lead a team of development scientists and associates responsible for designing, planning, and conducting development studies for clinical-grade proteomics assays to measure complex, blood-based analytes while working cross-functionally with the Research, Clinical, QC, and Engineering teams.
This role is critical to Freenome’s Proteomics branch of our multiomics platform. This individual is accountable for Protein Development project plans, ensuring company milestones are achieved, providing growth and mentorship to the team, while working under design control.
How you’ll contribute:
- Lead and oversee a technical team of development scientists and associates to populate the product pipeline by developing, optimizing, validating, standardizing, and locking protocols for multi-analyte diagnostic protein based-assays by applying expert knowledge of protein biochemistry and multiplex immunoassays
- Partner with other scientific leaders and executives at Freenome to develop a scientific roadmap and product development strategy.
- Collaborate with the IVD team and clinical laboratory members to transfer protein development protocols into production, including automation, validation experiments, and SOP development.
- Develop an effective approach to managing Protein Development employees, through motivation and mentoring.
What you’ll bring:
- PhD (or equivalent industry experience) in molecular biology, biochemistry, immunology, chemistry, or a related field.
- 8+ years post-PhD experience proteomics
- 4+ years leading teams of development scientists in industry (preferably within molecular diagnostics building toward an LDT or IVD product)
- Deep technical grasp of proteomics, especially immunoassay platforms
- Ability to forge and lead strong, interdisciplinary teams that perform exceptionally under tight timelines and demonstrate accountability
- Excellent analytical, statistical process control methods and troubleshooting capabilities
- Clear communications skills and ability to lead and work with cross-functional technical teams.
- Proficient knowledge of the biology of human cell-free proteins, cancer biology, and/or immunology.
Freenome has adopted a COVID-19 vaccination policy to safeguard the health and well-being of our employees. As a condition of employment, our employees working on-site are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law.
Freenome is on a mission to empower everyone with the tools they need to detect, treat, and ultimately prevent cancer.
We have pioneered the most comprehensive multiomics platform for early cancer detection through a routine blood draw. By combining deep expertise in molecular biology with advanced computational biology and machine learning techniques to recognize disease-associated patterns among billions of circulating, cell-free biomarkers, we are developing simple and accurate blood tests for early cancer detection and integrating the actionable insights into health systems to operationalize a machine learning feedback loop between care and science.
Our recent $270 Million Series C brings our financing to over $500 million from investors, including; Bain Capital, Perceptive Advisors, RA Capital, Polaris Partners, Andreessen Horowitz, funds and accounts advised by T. Rowe Price Associates, Inc., GV (formerly Google Ventures), Roche Venture Fund, Kaiser Permanente Ventures, American Cancer Society’s BrightEdge Ventures, Data Collective Venture Capital, Novartis and Verily Life Sciences.
Freenome is building technology to advance the understanding of cancer through multiple analytes derived from blood. These signals include cell-free DNA, methylation of cell-free DNA, cell-free RNA, circulating proteins, and immune profiling derived from thousands of prospective samples. By developing novel statistical learning methods and applying them to integrate various -omics datasets, Freenome is a leader in modeling specific biological mechanisms to capture disease-dependent signatures, including gene expression, immune response, tumor burden, the tissue of origin, and 3D chromatin structure.
By building comprehensive discovery datasets and modeling critical biological systems, Freenome is learning what biological changes are present within the blood between a variety of different disease states, including cancer, autoimmune disorders, infections, drug response, and aging. The synthesis of Freenome’s datasets, cross-functional technical expertise, and audacious mission to discover biological truth, we seek to improve the lives of millions through early detection and early treatment of disease.
Freenomers are technical, creative, visionary, grounded, empathetic, and passionate. We build teams around divergent expertise, allowing us to solve problems and ascertain opportunities in unique ways. Freenomers are some of the most talented experts in their fields, joining together to advance healthcare, one breakthrough at a time.
We value empathy, integrity, and trust in one another, and we respect the diverse perspectives of our colleagues and those we serve. We assume positive intent and give each other the benefit of the doubt with the firm belief that we are a team working toward the same objectives. We believe in empowering and supporting each other in a collaborative and dynamic environment.
What does a successful person look like at Freenome?
Those who thrive at Freenome prioritize, manage, and execute their own goals with ownership and alignment with those of the company. They embrace our values of empathy, integrity, striving for greatness, servant leadership, trust, and holding themselves and their team accountable to these values. They crave collaboration with brilliant minds from disparate fields of study and believe that hiring and mentorship are fundamental to our success. Above all, they welcome and provide constructive feedback and criticism, trusting in others’ good intentions, and being secure in knowing that embracing mistakes is the best way to learn and grow. For those who pursue challenges, understudied problems, and want the opportunity to see their work impact the lives of millions of people affected by cancer every year, there’s no better place to be than Freenome.
Freenome is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law.