R&D Senior Automation Associate (Sequencing and Lab Operations)
The Regeneron Genetics Center (RGC) is seeking a talented and motivated Automation Associate to join the Sequencing and Lab Operations team. The Automation Associate will be responsible for the design, programming, and day-to-day maintenance of a variety of automated systems custom designed by the RGC for ultra-high-throughput next-generation DNA sequencing at our Tarrytown location.
A successful candidate will be well-versed in the latest automation technologies, have hands on experience programming robots, and be willing to work in a fast-paced team-oriented environment. Experience programming liquid handlers from Hamilton Robotics (Star and Vantage, knowledge of Venus is required, and Instinct is preferred) Dynamic Devices (Lynx, Method Manager), and equipment from HighRes Biosolutions (Cellario software) are required. Integration of various devices necessary for the research lab – centrifuges, plate sealers, etc. – as well as ability to code in C#, VB, and/or Python is preferred.
A typical day may include:
- Develop, implement, and troubleshoot workflows on both existing and newly planned automated systems from, but not limited to, Hamilton Robotics, Dynamic Devices, and HighRes Biosolutions.
- Program and integrate third party devices (e.g. centrifuges, barcode scanners, etc.) from a variety of different suppliers (e.g. Agilent, Inheco, Liconic, etc.).
- Contribute innovative solutions to increase efficiency and decrease costs while continuing to improve sample throughput and data quality.
- Stay up-to-date on new technologies and evaluate how adopting new equipment will impact workflows.
- Train new users to operate equipment and then provide on-going technical support when needed. Clearly communicate timelines, effectively manage expectations, and plan R&D to minimize production downtime; effective communication with the RGC lab manager, head of the RGC lab, and various other automation teams at Regeneron will be necessary for success.
- Will occasionally be required to operate the systems and prepare samples.
This role might be right for you if:
- You have a passion for scientific innovation.
- Exhibit adept technical and problem-solving skills.
- Are comfortable working in a dynamic environment where priorities can change from day to dayYou have strong communication and organizational skills and easily adapt to a rapidly changing fast-paced environment.
- Have ability to integrate various third-party devices into workflows controlled by Hamilton and/or HighRes resources; experience with many different types of these devices is preferred.
- You have prior experience in a large-scale next-generation sequencing lab (preferred)
To be considered for this role you must possess B.S or M.S. in Science/Engineering or related field with 5+ years of automation experience. Direct experience programming Hamilton Stars (or closely related) using Venus software is required; experience with Hamilton’s Vantage and programming within Instinct is preferred but not required. Experience with HighRes Biosolution’s Cellario software is preferred.
Does this sound like you? Apply now to take your first steps toward living the Regeneron Way! We have an inclusive and diverse culture that provides amazing benefits including health and wellness programs, fitness centers and stock for employees at all levels!
Regeneron is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion or belief (or lack thereof), sex, nationality, national or ethnic origin, civil status, age, citizenship status, membership of the Traveler community, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, familial status, marital or registered civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity status, gender identity, gender reassignment, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic in accordance with applicable laws and regulations. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application process. Please contact us to discuss any accommodations you think you may need.