Senior Scientist II, Process Chemistry
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Process Research and Development is responsible for inventing and executing the chemical processes and preparing active pharmaceutical ingredient (API) to enable clinical trials, toxicology studies and drug product development for Abbvie’s pre-clinical and clinical candidates. We create valuable intellectual property through composition of matter, chemical processes, and technology resulting in a cost effective commercial manufacturing process. We develop the supply chain for APIs, prepare and defend CMC (Chemistry, Manufacturing and Control) regulatory content.
We seek a highly motivated scientist, with a proven track record of accomplishment in the field of organic synthesis to work in a multi-functional team environment.
- The candidate will be responsible for developing and executing synthetic organic chemistry that provides practical access to potential therapies, which may include small molecules and/or antibody drug conjugates.
- The position involves multi-disciplinary interactions with organic chemists, analytical chemists, engineers, and solid state scientists.
- The candidate will demonstrate the ability to resolve key project hurdles and assumptions by effectively utilizing available information and technical expertise. Additionally, the candidate will proactively seek out new information in the literature and incorporate this into individual project(s) as well as the overall program.
- It is expected that the successful candidate publish research in peer-reviewed journals and present their work at scientific conferences.
- BS, MS, or PhD in chemistry and 10-12 (BS), 8-10 (MS), or 0-4 (PhD) years of relevant experience required.
- A broad range of functional expertise in modern synthetic organic chemistry, compound purification, spectral analysis/interpretation.
- An ability to search the chemical literature and evaluate potential solutions to synthetic problems.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Key Leadership Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the "essence" and can change course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.