Senior Principal Data Scientist
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision transforming patients lives through science.In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
We are looking for a new team member! A results-oriented individual to contribute to our cheminformatics and data management initiatives to empower scientists at our Research and Early Development (R&ED) Thematic Research Centers. This role can be located at any of our sites: CA- San Diego, Redwood City and San Francisco, MA- Cambridge, WA- Seattle, NJ - Princeton and Lawrenceville. This hands-on role will partner closely with our computational researchers across discovery and translational sciences to transform internal and external data so that it is suitable for drug discovery ML/AI efforts. We are seeking a highly collaborative individual with experience processing, integrating, and mining a wide range of research data types.
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO, THE FOLLOWING:
- Working interactively research scientists, computational scientists, and engineers to identify and deliver on prioritized data needs for Research objectives and program decisions.
- Ensuring our data workflows drive value for scientists, collaborators and patients.
- Identifying, understanding, and curating internal chemistry project data so that it is FAIR (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable and Reusable)
- Collaborating with scientists to build data products and visualizations to answer scientific questions
- Ensuring the accurate, complete and timely collection, delivery and tracking of data from external or internal partners for analysis, reporting and presentation
- Collaborating on development of R&ED data plans that outline data capture, data flow, data queries, manual checks, and data listings needed to ensure data integrity
- Working with computational scientists to resolve any data issues found during analysis
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- PhD with at least 7 years experience or Masters with 10 years experience (e.g. Data Science, Computer Science, Cheminformatics, Bioinformatics, Epidemiology, Biology, Chemistry, Genomics)
- Strong understanding of chemistry, molecular biology concepts, multi-dimensional omics data and modern approaches to data integration and data processing workflows
- Excellent programming skills in scientific languages such as R or Python.
- Experience with FAIR (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable and Reusable) data concepts and knowledge graphs.
- Experience building data products and APIs using frameworks such as Shiny, DASH and Streamlit
- Along with programming proficiency, you must show a strong capacity for independent thinking and care about the underlying scientific questions!
We are Knowledge Science Research, part of the Informatics and Predictive Sciences Organization in R&ED. Join us and make a difference for patients! We hire the best people and provide them with a fun work environment that places a premium on diversity, integrity, collaboration and personal development. Through a culture of inclusion, we create a better, more productive work environment. We believe that the diverse experiences and perspectives of all our employees are critical to driving innovation and science. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.