Scientist, Molecular & Cellular Biology, Leads Discovery and Optimization, Redwood City, CA
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision transforming patients lives through science.In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
Scientist, Cellular & Molecular Biology, Lead Discovery & Optimization
LOCATION: Redwood City, CA
The Leads Discovery & Optimization (LDO) is a dynamic organization that supports the entire continuum of drug discovery (from lead identification to clinical candidate delivery) at Bristol Myers Squibb. The organization leverages state of the art technologies, complemented by deep subject matter expertise and broad scientific knowledge, to deliver innovative and comprehensive preclinical in vitro datasets to support our drug discovery pipeline in disease areas such as cell therapy, oncology, immunology, fibrosis and cardiovascular diseases.
As a Scientist within the LDO, this individual will be responsible for the design, validation, execution, and interpretation of cell-based assays for high throughput screening through lead optimization, in support of the broad BMS Oncology portfolio. This individual will have the opportunity to work on cross-functional drug discovery teams, closely interacting with colleagues from different functions including chemistry, biology, DMPK and pharmacology. The individual will collaborate within LDO and across project teams to help shape the in vitro screening strategy, identify appropriate assay detection formats, and develop high throughput assays using cutting-edge automation platforms. The ideal candidate will have a strong working knowledge of fundamental principles of in vitro pharmacology and cell culture, including receptor-ligand interaction and intracellular signaling transduction pathways. In addition, hands-on experience with both protein (HTRF, BRET, luminescence, ALPHA technology, MSD, ELISA, western, etc.) and nucleic acid-based (RT-qPCR) cellular assay formats is strongly desired. This is a laboratory-based position.
- Collaborate with colleagues across R&D to develop high quality cell-based assays
- Adapt these assays for high-throughput formats
- Execute routine cell-based screening assays to ensure rapid data delivery
- Analyze, interpret and effectively report data at team meetings
- Troubleshoot assays to ensure high quality control
- Interface closely with disease biology colleagues to ensure assays and screening efforts are aligned to the scientific project goals
- Lead efforts to identify, evaluate, and implement new technologies and methods that push the boundaries of complex cell-based screening
- Interface with Informatics and automation colleagues proactively to drive the evolution of screening platforms and ensure adequate maintenance of the cell-based assay infrastructure
Key Experiences and qualities:
- Demonstrated hands-on experience in developing various functional cell-based signaling assays in recombinant and primary cells
- Practical expertise with high throughput screening using automated platforms and processes
- Strong analytical skills and ability to troubleshoot experimental problems independently is required
- Expertise in databases, data analysis & analytics and specialized analysis tools is preferred
- Experience with automated liquid handlers, plate readers, software and robotics is desirable
- High content image screening and flow cytometry platforms experience is a plus
- Self-motivated and a proven ability to work in a multifunctional team setting
- Detail-oriented, highly organized with the ability to run multiple projects
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability and desire to master new skills, methods and technologies that enhance departmental capabilities
- BS or Masters or PhD degree in molecular biology, cell biology, pharmacology, or related field
- BS /MS with 5+ years relevant research experience in assay development & execution, preferably in drug discovery
- PhD with 0-3 years of experience
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.