Senior Scientist/Principal Scientist, Translational Oncology
Recursion is a clinical-stage biotechnology company decoding biology by integrating technological innovations across biology, chemistry, automation, data science and engineering to radically improve the lives of patients and industrialize drug discovery. Our team is working to solve some of the hardest, most meaningful problems facing human health today. Come join us in our mission to decode biology to radically improve lives, while doing the most impactful work of your life.
The Impact You’ll Make
Recursion Pharmaceuticals is at the forefront of reimaging drug discovery through the integration of automated cell biology, high-dimensional and diverse data sets, and sophisticated analytics. We are seeking a Senior or Principal Scientist with drug discovery experience in oncology and/or immuno-oncology to lead multiple programs through preclinical development to bring life-changing therapeutics to patients. As a Senior Scientist/Principal Scientist, you will:
- Develop an industry-leading preclinical cancer pipeline, driving programs through key studies and identifying opportunities for speed and synergy
- Help decode Recursion's map of cellular biology to identify novel approaches to address disease and build mechanistic and biomarker hypotheses
- Use creative approaches to realize and validate strategies for novel in vitro or in vivo disease models
- Collaborate with data scientists, computational biologists, chemists, and clinical strategists across the organization to iteratively develop Recursion's data-to-therapeutic pipeline
The Team You’ll Join
Reporting to the Director, Translational Oncology, you will join a diverse, dynamic team of innovative scientists working to accelerate the development of novel therapies for oncology. Heavily integrated with data scientists, engineers, chemists and biologists, and backed by Recursion’s world-class drug discovery technology and genomic datasets, you will design and lead efforts to advance therapeutic programs. Key attributes to this role include a bold, execution-oriented attitude and passion for deploying rigorous science to end cancer.
The Experience You’ll Need
Scientist, Translational Oncology
- Training in biological and translational sciences and completion of an advanced post-graduate degree (PhD preferred)
- Experience with design, execution and analysis of in vitro techniques for the purpose of studying efficacy and mechanism of cancer interventions (e.g. cell culture, CRISPR, transcriptional and protein analyses) Note: This role will not involve at-the-bench experiment execution
- Familiarity with current animal models used in cancer drug discovery (PDX, CDX, GEMM, syngeneic)
- High-level understanding of small molecule drug discovery and pharmacology
- Capable of leading and prioritizing among multiple projects and efficiently advancing projects to proof of concept
Senior Scientist, Translational Oncology
- 3+ years experience applying professional competencies to fundamental problems of relevance to oncology drug discovery or experience in biopharma industry setting (domain specific experience in other areas of biology will be considered, as well) and completion of an advanced post-graduate degree (PhD preferred)
- Understanding of key DMPK principles for early stage drug discovery
- Experience managing external resources (CROs)
Principal Scientist, Translational Oncology
- 5+ years experience applying professional competencies to fundamental problems of relevance to oncology drug discovery specifically in a biopharma industry setting and completion of an advanced post-graduate degree (PhD preferred)
- Demonstrable experience advancing therapeutics program from discovery to preclinical development
- Understanding of current state of oncology therapeutic development and ability to drive scientific strategy
The Values That We Hope You Share:
- We Care: We care about our drug candidates, our Recursionauts, their families, each other, our communities, the patients we aim to serve and their loved ones. We also care about our work.
- We Learn: Learning from the diverse perspectives of our fellow Recursionauts, and from failure, is an essential part of how we make progress.
- We Deliver: We are unapologetic that our expectations for delivery are extraordinarily high. There is urgency to our existence: we sprint at maximum engagement, making time and space to recover.
- Act Boldly with Integrity: No company changes the world or reinvents an industry without being bold. It must be balanced; not by timidity, but by doing the right thing even when no one is looking.
- We are One Recursion: We operate with a 'company first, team second' mentality. Our success comes from working as one interdisciplinary team.
Recursion spends time and energy connecting every aspect of work to these values. They aren’t static, but regularly discussed and questioned because we make decisions rooted in those values in our day-to-day work. You can read more about our values and how we live them every day here.
The Benefits/Perks You’ll Enjoy as a Full-Time Employee at Recursion:
- 100% Coverage of health, vision, and dental insurance premiums
- 401(k) with generous matching (immediate vesting)
- Stock option, restricted stock unit (RSUs) and employee stock purchase plan (ESPP) programs
- Two one-week paid company closures (summer and winter)
- Flexible vacation/sick leave
- Generous paid parental leave (including adoptive)
- Onsite daycare facility** (Salt Lake City)
- Commuter benefit and vehicle parking to ease your commute**
- Complimentary chef-prepared lunches and well-stocked snack bars** (Salt Lake City)
- Monthly fitness/wellness stipend
- One-of-a-kind 100,000 square foot headquarters complete with a 70-foot climbing wall, showers, lockers, and bike parking** (Salt Lake City)
**United States based employees
More About Us
Central to our mission is the Recursion Operating System, or Recursion OS, that combines an advanced infrastructure layer to generate what we believe is one of the world’s largest and fastest-growing proprietary biological and chemical datasets and the Recursion Map, a suite of custom software, algorithms, and machine learning tools that we use to explore foundational biology unconstrained by human bias and navigate to new biological insights which may accelerate our programs. We are a biotechnology company scaling more like a technology company. Recursion is proudly headquartered in Salt Lake City.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.