Automation Engineer, Chemical Technologies
Recursion is a clinical-stage biotechnology company decoding biology by integrating technological innovations across biology, chemistry, automation, data science and engineering to radically improve the lives of patients and industrialize drug discovery. Our team is working to solve some of the hardest, most meaningful problems facing human health today. Come join us in our mission to decode biology to radically improve lives, while doing the most impactful work of your life.
The Impact You’ll Make
- Automate Chemical Synthesis Screening: You will implement an automated chemical synthesis system. Your contributions will enable our chemists to quickly generate and iterate on novel compounds that target areas of biology. Our future patients and your fellow Recursionauts are counting on you.
- Scale-up without Compromising Quality: We are scaling up our chemical synthesis processes. You will help identify and control sources of variation in our automated processes.
- Automation Engineering Technology: Suggest, test, and implement new automation that increases flexibility, capacity, and quality of our chemical synthesis processes.
- Build Flexible Systems: Rapidly deploy new laboratory instruments to enable new chemical workflows.
The Team You’ll Join
You will be joining our Automation Engineering team reporting to Recursion’s Automation Engineering manager. We deploy automation technology to enable our fellow scientists to execute on a wide variety of assays including phenotypic, multi-omics, and chemical experiments. This team works cross-functionally across Recursion’s laboratories to develop and implement robotics and automation technology systems that allow Recursionauts to execute experiments at an unprecedented scale. Our team is growing fast to support increasingly broad subject areas. We are excited to add your expertise to our team of experts in microscopy, spectroscopy, programming, fabrication, liquid handling, and automation.
The Experience You’ll Need
- Degree in Robotics, Biology, Informatics, Biotechnology, or related technology field plus 2 years’ experience implementing automated purification and analytical chemistry processes/instrumentation
- Experience with scripting and/or programming, preferably in C# or Python
- Familiarity with various instrument control softwares
- Basic understanding of chemistry and chemical synthesis
- Experience using Sample Tracking and Sample Management systems
The Values That We Hope You Share:
- We Care: We care about our drug candidates, our Recursionauts, their families, each other, our communities, the patients we aim to serve and their loved ones. We also care about our work.
- We Learn: Learning from the diverse perspectives of our fellow Recursionauts, and from failure, is an essential part of how we make progress.
- We Deliver: We are unapologetic that our expectations for delivery are extraordinarily high. There is urgency to our existence: we sprint at maximum engagement, making time and space to recover.
- Act Boldly with Integrity: No company changes the world or reinvents an industry without being bold. It must be balanced; not by timidity, but by doing the right thing even when no one is looking.
- We are One Recursion: We operate with a 'company first, team second' mentality. Our success comes from working as one interdisciplinary team.
Recursion spends time and energy connecting every aspect of work to these values. They aren’t static, but regularly discussed and questioned because we make decisions rooted in those values in our day-to-day work. You can read more about our values and how we live them every day here.
The Benefits/Perks You’ll Enjoy as a Full-Time Employee at Recursion:
- 100% Coverage of health, vision, and dental insurance premiums
- 401(k) with generous matching (immediate vesting)
- Stock option, restricted stock unit (RSUs) and employee stock purchase plan (ESPP) programs
- Two one-week paid company closures (summer and winter)
- Flexible vacation/sick leave
- Generous paid parental leave (including adoptive)
- Onsite daycare facility** (Salt Lake City)
- Commuter benefit and vehicle parking to ease your commute**
- Complimentary chef-prepared lunches and well-stocked snack bars** (Salt Lake City)
- Monthly fitness/wellness stipend
- One-of-a-kind 100,000 square foot headquarters complete with a 70-foot climbing wall, showers, lockers, and bike parking** (Salt Lake City)
**United States based employees
Recursion requires all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their first date of employment.
More About Us
Central to our mission is the Recursion Operating System, or Recursion OS, that combines an advanced infrastructure layer to generate what we believe is one of the world’s largest and fastest-growing proprietary biological and chemical datasets and the Recursion Map, a suite of custom software, algorithms, and machine learning tools that we use to explore foundational biology unconstrained by human bias and navigate to new biological insights which may accelerate our programs. We are a biotechnology company scaling more like a technology company. Recursion is proudly headquartered in Salt Lake City.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.