Senior Scientist, Computational Oncology
Recursion is a clinical-stage biotechnology company decoding biology by integrating technological innovations across biology, chemistry, automation, data science and engineering to radically improve the lives of patients and industrialize drug discovery. Our team is working to solve some of the hardest, most meaningful problems facing human health today. Come join us in our mission to decode biology to radically improve lives, while doing the most impactful work of your life.
Recursion is a digital biology company industrializing drug discovery. We are working to solve some of the hardest, most meaningful problems facing human health today. Come join us in our mission to decode biology to radically improve lives, while doing the most impactful work of your life. Would you like to help us lead the Revolution?
The Impact You’ll Make
You will lead multiple computational and/or therapeutics projects from launch to preclinical development to bring new therapeutics to patients.You will be at the forefront of developing new approaches to oncology therapeutics discovery and reimagining small molecule discovery from first principles using Recursion’s massive data capabilities.
- Discover and develop new analytics and workflows for leveraging Recursion’s unique capacity to perform >1 million experiments per week for oncology target ID, program nomination and ML-enabled biomarker development. Work on complex biomarker development for novel therapeutics in areas such as colorectal, breast cancer, and others.
- Deliver multiple new computational approaches and therapeutic programs into Recursion’s oncology pipeline at an accelerated pace. You’ll iterate quickly from ideation to validation on multiple projects.
- Synthesize diverse datasets (internal and external) toward accelerating insight- and program-generation from Recursion’s phenomics data. You’ll strategically define novel datasets to advance our capabilities and answer critical questions.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with Recursion’s data science and ML teams to further advance ML infrastructure and phenomics data capabilities.
The Team You’ll Join
We are building an interdisciplinary modern oncology group centered on machine learning and inference-based discovery from first principles. The group is a bold, agile, interdisciplinary collective of drug discovery and machine learning scientists deeply focused on the singular goal of bringing new cancer therapeutics to patients at an accelerated pace. You will lead project strategy and execution within a small group of project leaders, and collaborate extensively with data scientists, chemists, engineers and biologists throughout the organization and externally, to advance milestones and provide insights to further advance Recursion’s capabilities. Essential attributes to this role include a bold, execution-first attitude and passion for deploying rigorous science to end cancer. You will report to SVP, Translational Medicine.
The Experience You’ll NeedSenior Scientist:
- PhD in relevant field and 3+ years applying professional competencies to fundamental problems of relevance to oncology drug discovery or experience in biopharma industry setting (domain specific experience in other areas of biology will be considered, as well)
- General understanding of small molecule drug discovery and pharmacology
- Demonstrated experience applying computational methods, including probability, statistics, and machine learning, to analysis of biological and/or human clinical data.
- Experience and familiarity working with multimodal biological datasets of relevance to oncology
- Fluency and experience working with high-level programming language such as Python or R for complex data analysis
- Capable of carrying and prioritizing among multiple projects and efficiently advancing projects to proof of concept
- Bold, passionate and highly collaborative
- Exceptional data visualization skills
- Experience with pytorch or tensorflow
The Values That We Hope You Share:
- We Care: We care about our drug candidates, our Recursionauts, their families, each other, our communities, the patients we aim to serve and their loved ones. We also care about our work.
- We Learn: Learning from the diverse perspectives of our fellow Recursionauts, and from failure, is an essential part of how we make progress.
- We Deliver: We are unapologetic that our expectations for delivery are extraordinarily high. There is urgency to our existence: we sprint at maximum engagement, making time and space to recover.
- Act Boldly with Integrity: No company changes the world or reinvents an industry without being bold. It must be balanced; not by timidity, but by doing the right thing even when no one is looking.
- We are One Recursion: We operate with a 'company first, team second' mentality. Our success comes from working as one interdisciplinary team.
Recursion spends time and energy connecting every aspect of work to these values. They aren’t static, but regularly discussed and questioned because we make decisions rooted in those values in our day-to-day work. You can read more about our values and how we live them every day here.
The Benefits/Perks You’ll Enjoy as a Full-Time Employee at Recursion:
- 100% Coverage of health, vision, and dental insurance premiums
- 401(k) with generous matching (immediate vesting)
- Stock option, restricted stock unit (RSUs) and employee stock purchase plan (ESPP) programs
- Two one-week paid company closures (summer and winter)
- Flexible vacation/sick leave
- Generous paid parental leave (including adoptive)
- Onsite daycare facility** (Salt Lake City)
- Commuter benefit and vehicle parking to ease your commute**
- Complimentary chef-prepared lunches and well-stocked snack bars** (Salt Lake City)
- Monthly fitness/wellness stipend
- One-of-a-kind 100,000 square foot headquarters complete with a 70-foot climbing wall, showers, lockers, and bike parking** (Salt Lake City)
**United States based employees
Recursion requires all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their first date of employment.
More About Us
Central to our mission is the Recursion Operating System, or Recursion OS, that combines an advanced infrastructure layer to generate what we believe is one of the world’s largest and fastest-growing proprietary biological and chemical datasets and the Recursion Map, a suite of custom software, algorithms, and machine learning tools that we use to explore foundational biology unconstrained by human bias and navigate to new biological insights which may accelerate our programs. We are a biotechnology company scaling more like a technology company. Recursion is proudly headquartered in Salt Lake City.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.