Corporate Counsel - Hospital Business Unit
The Global Product Counsel (“GPC”) for the Hospital Business Unit will serve as the lead counsel, including lead risk counselor, for one or more products or businesses within Pfizer Biopharmaceutical Group (“PBG”).
This GPC will provide legal guidance and counsel to commercial, medical and cross-functional teams, and support contracting, pricing and policy initiatives in a matrixed corporate environment that requires an enterprise mindset and effective collaboration with internal legal subject-matter experts and key cross-functional stakeholders.
- Operate as the lead counsel, including lead risk counselor, for assigned in-line and pipeline products on a global basis, as well as assigned business teams, along with other related legal responsibilities in support of the PBG;
- Understand the strategic and tactical objectives of the relevant commercial, medical, development, or patient engagement teams and develop creative and thoughtful solutions to key initiatives, taking into account current legal and regulatory landscapes, Pfizer policies and procedures and the current and future needs of the PBG and Pfizer as a whole;
- Advise on contracting and transactional issues, and engage with contracting counterparties as needed;
- Support medical and commercial development for assigned products, including:
- Regulatory and medical strategies
- Product safety and risk-mitigation activities
- Label development
- Market development
- Product communication activities
- Proactive benefit: risk development and maintenance, including Medical Governance activities
- Liaise with litigation, IP, and transactional partners on ongoing litigations and disputes, and ensure timely updates to business lead to drive these matters to resolution
- Support US marketing and sales for assigned products, including:
- Advertising and promotion and all product communication strategies
- Healthcare law compliance
- Risk assessment and mitigation planning
- Ongoing compliance monitoring;
- Collaborate with international platform colleagues on business strategies and practices being implemented in their markets, along with numerous competitor issues;
- Ensure compliance with legal policies and procedures, controls and statutory requirements within relevant business areas.
- Work constructively and collaboratively with other members of Pfizer’s Legal Division, legal staff, business colleagues and compliance professionals.
- Demonstrate strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills as well as sound judgment with a high level of professionalism and minimal supervision. Must be detail-oriented, a quick learner, and able to work effectively in a highly matrixed organization.
- Bachelor’s Degree and Juris Doctorate or equivalent law degree
- 5+ years legal and/or compliance experience, with a minimum of 3 years in the pharmaceutical or biotech industry, including experience in regulatory law and commercial/medical-related matters.
- Ability to support Team Leaders within the organization
- Demonstrated ability to grasp statutory and regulatory concepts quickly, and to proactively identify and analyze potential legal issues and provide thoughtful and creative business-focused legal advice and solutions.
- Proven capacity to cultivate strong client relationships and successfully influence leadership in a fast-paced, innovative business climate.
- A thorough understanding of regulatory and legal frameworks governing the sales and marketing of approved medicines, and regulatory framework for investigational medicines.
- Candidate demonstrates a breadth of diverse leadership experiences and capabilities including: the ability to influence and collaborate with peers, develop and coach others, oversee and guide the work of other colleagues to achieve meaningful outcomes and create business impact.
Ability and willingness to:
- Gain deep understanding of business strategies and actively counsel on business and legal approaches and opportunities
- Devise and deliver tailored training programs to key client groups on a range of legal, policy and compliance matters
- Anticipate, develop and advocate positions on important regulatory policy and external environment matters impacting Pfizer’s business objectives
- Build networks throughout the Pfizer Legal Division and the company, and receive input from and collaborate with attorneys and other colleagues providing platform services, including colleagues supporting procurement, patent law, litigation, regulatory, medical, commercial business units, R&D and compliance
- Track record of accountability and sound judgment, including the ability to take ownership of and move projects to closure
- Excellent drafting and negotiation skills with an eye for detail combined with pragmatism/sound judgment
- Excellent communication skills to convey complex legal issues to clients in a clear and concise manner
NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
Some travel may be required
This is an individual contributor role.
Other Job Details:
Last Date to Apply: 2/1/22
Pfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.Sunshine ActPfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider’s name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative.EEO & Employment EligibilityPfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.Legal Affairs#LI-PFE