Senior Scientist I, Bioinformatics
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Genomic Research Center (GRC) at AbbVie is seeking a highly motivated computational biologist/bioinformatics scientist to play an integral role in a multi-disciplinary team focused on developing new therapies for the treatment of cancer. AbbVie GRC spans multiple locations and therapeutic areas. This enables our capabilities to be leveraged from the perspective of a research community: a shared code base, innovative project engagement, and an extensive mentoring and development program that combine to create a vibrant and exciting career opportunity.
The successful candidate will be based at AbbVie South San Francisco site, and will have the opportunity to work in a fast-paced and highly collaborative environment to contribute to discovery and clinical development under AbbVie Tumor Targeting programs (including Antibody Drug Conjugates, CD3 Bi-specific T cell engager and CART). In addition, the candidate will contribute to presentation and publication of translational findings in peer reviewed journals, new drug applications and regulatory filings.
- Analysis – Interrogate large scale –omics data from both pre-clinical models and clinical samples in support of new therapeutic discoveries for the treatment of cancer.
- Build – through your own efforts or by working with software engineers to develop world-class bioinformatics capabilities (genomic databases and analytics software/pipelines) to support a dynamic oncology pipeline.
- Collaborative Design – you should find it inspiring to work with a wide variety of colleagues (e.g., biology, chemistry, business); understand their needs and then propose and build solutions
- Presentation – use your strong computational and data visualization skills to bring together disparate data types in compelling visualization packages that provide end users with the ability to see both ‘the landscape’ and details leading to improved decision-making
- Adaptability – given our diverse mission you should be able to move fluidly between different project responsibilities
- Breadth – as a talented and motivated Biology Data Scientist you can contribute to a wide variety of missions related to enhancing drug discovery
- PhD. Degree in bioinformatics, computational biology, biostatistics, computer science, genetics, molecular biology or a related field; Master’s degree with typically 8 years of relevant experience; Bachelor’s degree with typically 10 years of relevant experience.
- Proficient in at least one general purpose programming/data science languages including but not limited to R, Python, Julia.
- Experience with common NGS data processing tools and statistical analysis.
- Experience in cancer genomics.
- Good understanding of patient derived xenograft model and cancer biology.
- Experience in analyzing spatial transcriptomics or CRISPR screen data
- Experience in predictive modeling, Bayesian inference, and machine learning.
- Develop and implement analysis workflow, software applications, and data warehouse to improve visualization, integration, and accessibility of complex genomics and clinical data.
- Understand how to use and leverage containers for deploying standard pipelines (Docker, AWS Container, etc.)
- Familiarity with assay technologies and algorithm principles related to bulk and single-cell RNA-Seq, WES/WGS, Mass-spec proteomics, ATAC-seq, etc.
- Experiences with both preclinical and clinical development are highly valued.
- Outstanding presentation and communication skills that foster collaboration and teamwork.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.