Machine Learning Scientist, Multimodal Modeling Lead
Recursion is a clinical-stage biotechnology company decoding biology by integrating technological innovations across biology, chemistry, automation, data science and engineering to radically improve the lives of patients and industrialize drug discovery. Our team is working to solve some of the hardest, most meaningful problems facing human health today. Come join us in our mission to decode biology to radically improve lives, while doing the most impactful work of your life.
The Impact You’ll Make
Recursion’s creed -- to build a map of biology and follow this map to discover treatments to serve patients -- relies on our unique combination of high-throughput and high-dimensional biological experimentation with deep computational modeling.
Machine Learning Scientist, Multimodal Modeling Lead will be responsible to help build a team and lead scientific directions in applied machine learning to integrate parallel datasets of phenomic, transcriptomic, proteomic, and other high-dimensional assays in service to accelerate the path to the clinic for drug discovery. You will work with Recursion’s unique dataset: over 1 million unique biological perturbations profiled in a high-dimensional biological assay, making up nearly 8 PB of highly-relatable data, its expansion to further ‘omics modalities, and contribute to our unique approach to phenotypic drug discovery using our inference-based Recursion Map to predict tens of billions of relationships between disease models and therapeutic candidates. Your goals:
- Guide Recursion’s strategy for data integration combining internal and external datasets to guide drug discovery.
- Help build a team of machine learning scientists, machine learning engineers, and data scientists to tackle these challenging problems.
- Develop methods, models, and benchmarks focused on extracting meaningful insights from diverse data types.
- Design and analyze experiments to unravel complex relationships between different high-dimensional data modalities.
- Collaborate with other leaders in data science, automation, engineering, and product to define applications for multimodal data in biological discovery.
- Deliver robust, scalable models for production use that advance drug discovery and accelerate getting treatments to patients.
The Team You’ll Join
As Machine Learning Scientist, Multimodal Modeling Lead, you will report to the Director, Data Science (Industrialized Discovery) and lead a multimodal modeling team of Machine Learning Scientists & Engineers and Data Scientists that develop, own, and improve upon our core tools in this area.
THE EXPERIENCE YOU’LL NEED
- 5+ years of hands-on experience in data modeling, with extensive experience applying modern machine learning methods. PhD in Computer Science or related field and drug discovery experience preferred.
- Experience designing, executing, and delivering applied deep learning projects, especially in biology or medicine.
- Outstanding past projects, publications, or presentations.
- Curiosity and the professional skill-set to excel in an open, highly collaborative, and growth-oriented environment.
The Values That We Hope You Share:
- We Care: We care about our drug candidates, our Recursionauts, their families, each other, our communities, the patients we aim to serve and their loved ones. We also care about our work.
- We Learn: Learning from the diverse perspectives of our fellow Recursionauts, and from failure, is an essential part of how we make progress.
- We Deliver: We are unapologetic that our expectations for delivery are extraordinarily high. There is urgency to our existence: we sprint at maximum engagement, making time and space to recover.
- Act Boldly with Integrity: No company changes the world or reinvents an industry without being bold. It must be balanced; not by timidity, but by doing the right thing even when no one is looking.
- We are One Recursion: We operate with a 'company first, team second' mentality. Our success comes from working as one interdisciplinary team.
Recursion spends time and energy connecting every aspect of work to these values. They aren’t static, but regularly discussed and questioned because we make decisions rooted in those values in our day-to-day work. You can read more about our values and how we live them every day here.
The Benefits/Perks You’ll Enjoy as a Full-Time Employee at Recursion:
- 100% Coverage of health, vision, and dental insurance premiums
- 401(k) with generous matching (immediate vesting)
- Stock option, restricted stock unit (RSUs) and employee stock purchase plan (ESPP) programs
- Two one-week paid company closures (summer and winter)
- Flexible vacation/sick leave
- Generous paid parental leave (including adoptive)
- Onsite daycare facility** (Salt Lake City)
- Commuter benefit and vehicle parking to ease your commute**
- Complimentary chef-prepared lunches and well-stocked snack bars** (Salt Lake City)
- Monthly fitness/wellness stipend
- One-of-a-kind 100,000 square foot headquarters complete with a 70-foot climbing wall, showers, lockers, and bike parking** (Salt Lake City)
**United States based employees
Recursion requires all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their first date of employment.
More About Us
Central to our mission is the Recursion Operating System, or Recursion OS, that combines an advanced infrastructure layer to generate what we believe is one of the world’s largest and fastest-growing proprietary biological and chemical datasets and the Recursion Map, a suite of custom software, algorithms, and machine learning tools that we use to explore foundational biology unconstrained by human bias and navigate to new biological insights which may accelerate our programs. We are a biotechnology company scaling more like a technology company. Recursion is proudly headquartered in Salt Lake City.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.