Research Associate I – Bioservices – Immunology
About iQ Biosciences
iQ Biosciences provides focused research support to the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and diagnostic industries in the form of intelligent research services and quality biospecimens. We go beyond being reliable – we excel at being a trusted partner in the biomedical community to help cure disease. iQ Biosciences is entering a dynamic growth phase and looking to add an outstanding, highly motivated team player who aligns with our company culture and possesses the following characteristics: good judgment, effective communication, natural curiosity, sense of urgency, focused passion, honesty, and empathy. This position has high growth potential opportunities as the company continues to build and solidify its Bioservices division as a leading Immunology-focused research service provider. This is a golden opportunity to learn about the many diverse approaches that drug development companies, from start-ups to big pharma, are taking to improve human health in the immuno-oncology space and beyond.
Position Description: Research Associate I; Bioservices – Immunology
The successful candidate will be primarily responsible for the execution of immunoassays and cell-based assays in the area of therapeutic antibody or small molecules for research, preclinical, and early drug development projects. This position requires basic knowledge of cellular immunology and experience with tissue culture. The ideal candidate will be able to follow basic protocols and retain knowledge through diligent note taking in order to work independently and in a group setting. The individual will develop skills sufficient for executing and interpreting assay results. This will be an ideal position for the candidate who is comfortable in a psychologically safe but candid start-up work environment and open to having multiple mentors (technical, business, career, and life) within iQ Biosciences challenging him/her/them to reach their full potential.
- Report to project leader for assignments and execute assigned studies as they apply for different contract research projects.
- Take extensive notes during training sessions and effectively retain information.
- Ability to work independently after initial training period.
- Perform tissue culture with primary cells and immortalized cell lines.
- Maintain multiple cell lines in culture concurrently.
- Expand and harvest mammalian cells for xenograft models.
- Perform multi-color flow cytometry, including cell staining and data acquisition.
- Isolation and characterization of primary immune cells from murine tissues/tumors and/or human blood and cryopreservation methods.
- Inventory, re-stock & order supplies, and track in accordance with set quarterly/annual budgets.
- Performance of general equipment maintenance and cleaning of laboratory areas.
- Perform assays to biophysically characterize, elucidate mechanisms of action, and enable selection of antibodies based on ELISA, cell line binding, specificity, cell cytotoxicity, internalization, cytokine release, proliferation, ADCC, ADCP, and CDC for client projects or R&D related activities.
- Must be organized and proactive in all aspects of work.
- Keep detailed records of lab work.
- Assist with troubleshooting and optimizing novel assays.
- Must be able to manage and execute multiple studies concurrently.
- Must be highly adaptive and flexible with good attention to detail.
- Must be able to troubleshoot issues based on reviewing methods & data results.
- This position will require on occasion, hours that exceed the typical working hours into the evenings and on weekends.
- Receiving & monitoring client test articles for usage.
- Packaging materials for shipment.
- Delivering packages to carrier hub location.
- Manage and update client information related to Bioservices.
- Must be able to lift and move objects weighing up to 40 pounds approximately 0 to 1 time per day/shift.
- Activity: Lifting Large Shipping Boxes
- Frequency: 0-1 time(s) per day
- Item Dimensions: 18″H x 12″W x 13″D
- Weight: 40 lbs
- Starting Height: 43″
- Finish Height: 0″
- Distance from Body: 5″
- Must be able to lift and move objects weighing up to 25 pounds approximately 5 to 10 times per day/shift.
- Activity: Lifting Liquid Nitrogen Racks
- Frequency: ~5-10 times per day
- Item Dimensions: 33″H x 6″W x 6″D
- Weight: 25 lbs
- Starting Height: 43″
- Finish Height: 60″
- Distance from Body: 14″
- Must be able to stand and walk continuously throughout an 8-hour shift.
- Must comply with laboratory policies and procedures.
- Must be available to work evenings or weekends if needed.
- B.S. with >1-2 years of laboratory experience in the areas of Immunology, Cell Biology, Biochemistry or a related field. A strong desire to learn about pharmaceutical/biotech drug discovery and development is preferred.
- Experience with sterile technique, preferably mammalian cell culture.
- Excellent oral presentation and communication skills.
- Flexibility and a willingness to work as a member of a small team is key. Commit and contribute to a high functioning team of enthusiastic, collaborative, supportive individuals.
- General Computer literacy, including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Technical Computer Software literacy, including GraphPad Prism, Softmax, and Flow Cytometry based applications (CellQuest, FACSDiva, and FlowJo) desired but not required.
- Flexibility to work occasionally on weekends or long hours as needed.