Director of Government Relations - Washington, DC
In this newly created role, you will be self-motivated and work autonomously to build RefleXion’s network, influence, and impact with Federal Government policy decision makers in the United States. In line with our mission “to enable the first ever systemic reach for external-beam radiotherapy patients with any stage of cancer” you will be expected to anticipate, triage, and manage Federal policy issues that could impact patient access to our technology and execute all the necessary steps to support our commercial business in the United States.
RefleXion is the first and only external-beam radiotherapy company to utilize diagnostic radiopharmaceuticals to guide delivery of external-beam radiotherapy in real-time, thereby creating novel clinical and commercial opportunities. The company also plans to conduct rigorous clinical trials testing safety, effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of its external-beam radiotherapy technology in conjunction with systemic drug therapies; as such, the Director of Government Relations will leverage their contacts, experience and insights into the commercial drivers of the pharmaceutical industry to create and find solutions that will demonstrate the value of the unique RefleXion technology to policy makers. The successful candidate will be a team player, strong lateral influencer, and motivator, develop coalitions and manage collaboration with influential external stakeholders. The ideal candidate for this role has experience in lobbying for the pharmaceutical industry, both lobbying directly and managing lobbyists, possess an in-depth understanding of Medicare statutes and policies which govern cancer treatments in the hospital outpatient department and freestanding center setting (physician office) and have a basic understanding of other government agencies which may have an impact on RefleXion’s business.
- Monitor and analyze the changing healthcare landscape to provide insights and recommendations on evolving policy trends to inform and educate management on the challenges ahead that could affect the commercial strategies in place.
- Develop and implement the overall government relations program, including managing lobbyist, and drive and monitor progress to ensure that milestones are being met to support patient access goals.
- Work with Patient Access team to create and implement payer strategies.
- Meet with Congressional staff to educate them on our technology and challenges our technology may face and garner support on solutions to facilitate patient access.
- Develop and cultivate internal and external stakeholder relationships including with KOLs, patient groups, specialty societies, industry organizations, hospital groups, etc.
- Facilitate and participate in meetings, including the preparation of meeting agendas, effective meeting management, and documenting meeting minutes with action items.
- Represent RefleXion in industry organization government affairs workgroups
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree (or greater) with experience in public policy, business or health science preferred
- 10+ years of experience in the pharmaceutical industry (oncology a plus)
- Experience in a Market Access, Government Relations and/or Health Technology Assessment functions
- Excellent communication skills, both written and spoken
- Skilled at making sound decisions when faced with the time pressures and incomplete information.
- Skilled in critical thinking, problem solving and conflict resolution.
- Skilled in developing collaborative relationships and coalition building, with the ability to foster open communication with internal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to manage influence through persuasion, negotiation, and consensus building with excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must be highly organized with the ability to manage multiple projects/tasks simultaneously and effectively prioritize projects and tasks.
- Some domestic travel may be required up to 20%.
- Located in the Washington, DC area
Company Benefits and Perks – What you will love about us!
All positions at RefleXion are eligible to receive the same benefits, listed here. We also want to highlight the following perks that add to our collaborative and team-work company culture. As we continue to grow as a company, we strive to have these benefits and perks grow with us – we are so excited for what is in store!
- The opportunity to work with a passionate, driven team in a pre-IPO start-up environment
- Competitive compensation and stock option package
- Three (3) weeks PTO to start
- Medical (both HMO and PPO options), Dental and Vision
- Health Savings Account (HSA), Flexible Spending Account (FSA), Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (DCFSA)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Employer paid Life Insurance
- RefleXion Benefit Hub – for company exclusive discounts and deals on a variety of sites and items
- Daily on-site lunches at the Hayward headquarters
- Kitchens filled with a variety of healthy and delicious snacks and drinks – including espresso and soda machines!
- Company culture building events such as Coffee Chats with the Executives and Friday Afternoon Ice Cream Socials