Director of Reagent Development - Strategic Leadership in Genomic Sequencing
At Genapsys we are working to transform the human condition by building an affordable, scalable genomic ecosystem that empowers research and diagnostics. Powered by semiconductor chip-based electronic sequencing technology, our platform will be a modular and accessible system that will enable highly accurate, scalable, and affordable sequencing for a variety of applications. We believe in a world where every researcher and clinician can perform their sequencing on-site, enabling easy and rapid access to actionable insights based on genomic data. Join us and let’s work together to unlock universal access to genomic sequencing.
About the Role: As our Director of Reagent Development, you will lead reagent development activities related to library prep, clonal amplification, and sequencing on the Genapsys NGS platform. You will work closely with other functional groups to ensure overall robustness and quality of reagents that are supplied to our customers, both internal and external. In this role, you will report to the Vice President, Reagent Development.
- Provide strategic leadership and technical direction in defining and achieving reagent and consumable development objectives.
- Ensure that plans are in place and execute accordingly to clearly establish performance specifications of incoming and outgoing material, including guardbanding; establish analytical and functional tests required for qualifying raw material and finished goods.
- Working with partners to optimize and implement reagent lyophilization
- Direct the formulation and testing of reagents to ensure its long term stability.
- Direct reagent development activities; partner with instrument, assay, systems integration, quality, and operations groups to provide high quality products (reagents and consumables), to internal and external customers.
- Work closely with a material scientist and with the engineering team to establish compatibility of the reagents with the consumables.
- Direct the activities of a Pilot Reagent Manufacturing team; ensure SOPs, BoMs, Batch Records and related documentation are in place, and successfully validated, prior to transfer to CMs for large scale production; manage resources to achieve desired results in a timely and cost effective manner.
- Create an environment of strong team spirit, collaboration, timely and effective communications, decision making, sense of urgency, high motivation, and problem solving abilities.
- Be an active and visible change agent, promoting flexibility and having an open mindset to new opportunities.
- Establish strategic goals and objectives and maintain full strategic responsibility for the Reagent Development team; inspire the team to achieve short-term and long-term goals.
- Provide critical review of scientific literature and data produced by project team members to ensure adequate progression of program/project toward defined goals.
- Interact with peers and executive team to accomplish business objectives.
- PhD in Biological/Life Sciences, Chemistry, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry or related field, or equivalent combination of education and work-related experience.
- 10+ years of experience in developing life science reagents for the US and other key markets.
- Must have rigorous product development experience particularly related to reagent development and manufacturing.
- Hands on technical knowledge of NGS methods including library preparation, target enrichment, clonal amplification, and sequencing chemistry.
- Experience working with lyophilized reagents is highly desirable.
- Experience handling reagent and consumable device material compatibility is also highly desired.
- Must have a reputation or prior track record of being a leading edge scientist in R&D.
- Possess excellent leadership skills with demonstrated ability to lead groups of PhD level scientists, Research Associates, and Lab Technicians working on complex projects resulting in development of commercial products.
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills to work effectively with a broad cross-functional, cross-enterprise, and cross-cultural teams.
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.