Senior Scientist, Cell Line Development
INNOVATION, QUALITY, COLLABORATION, PERFORMANCE, COURAGE AND INTEGRITY
Over 900+ clinical trials validate that gene therapies are transforming the practice of medicine. As a Senior Scientist, you will have an opportunity to join the NIBR Biologics Center (NBC) and be at the cutting edge, leading the development of innovative medicines that can improve lives of patients.
NBC builds the biologics pipeline in collaboration with NIBR Disease Areas and Platforms via a breadth of technologies for discovery of antibody, protein and gene therapy-based therapeutics. The Biotherapeutic Engineering and Gene Therapy (BEGT) group within NBC drives a diverse portfolio of modalities including therapeutic proteins, multi-specific antibodies, CAR-T, RNA therapeutics and rAAV. Through cell and viral engineering as well as innovative and rational protein design, the BEGT group is a global team that works collaboratively with disease area groups to broaden the use of biologics into therapeutic applications where conventional antibodies have limitations.
The Senior Scientist, Cell Line Development, in develops innovative engineered cell line for next generation AAV gene therapy manufacture. This role is also responsible for executing early-stage process development with the focus on developability for early-stage AAV gene therapy pipeline portfolio as well as new platform process for existing and novel AAV capsids and cargo vectors.
- Lead efforts to develop innovative and more cost-effective next generation AAV manufacturing platform.
- Design and execute experiments to drive innovative technology and platform evaluation for next generation capsids and cargo vectors.
- Lead and provide SME support collaboratively in operational and strategic discussion within a global team.
- Serve as an interface between Cell Line Development and upstream production team in support of developing and optimizing next generation AAV pre- packaging /packaging and producer cell lines.
- Serve as a SME to transfer knowledge and work collaboratively with Technical Research & Development team to advance pipeline programs into clinical phases.
- Provide technical support, training, and SME knowledge to assist with the development of junior staff.
- Manage multiple project workflow to ensure timely delivery.
- Prepare protocols, reports and provide high quality data and electronic notebook documentation.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- PhD in in Virology, Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Chemical Engineering, gene therapy or related field.
- 3 years of industry experience in cell line development for AAV and/or LV, therapeutic protein and antibody manufacture. Cell process development with experience in operating microbioreactor (e.g. ambr) and single-use small scale stirred-tank bioreactor experiments is preferred.
- Knowledge in AAV biology, virology, and host-virus interaction.
- Experience in molecular biology, flow cytometry, genome editing (e.g. CRISPR), and sh/miRNA is highly desired.
- Ability to work efficiently in a cross-functional matrix environment.
- Effective communication including presentations to convey scientific concepts to research scientists and cross-functional collaborators.
- Individual team player who demonstrates technical proficiency and creativity, collaboration with others and independent thought.
- Strong organization, problem-solving, and project management skills with attention to details.
The level of this position will be based on the final candidate's qualifications.
769 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2020, and while we're proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people's lives. We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world's toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying! Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!
Novartis Gene Therapies Benefit Summary:
Annual bonus, long term incentive, health insurance, paid vacation/holidays, potential flexible working arrangements (based on role) and an employee recognition program are available for this position, among many other benefits provided to employees of Novartis Gene Therapies.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Novartis Gene Therapies is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, genetics, disability, age, sexual orientation or veteran status.
Need help finding the right job?We can recommend jobs specifically for you! Click here to get started.