Internship, In Vitro Cell Potency
The Novartis Gene Therapies culture embraces this mission. As a compassionate and dedicated team, we are enthusiastic about the science behind our work and finding answers to difficult questions. We are dedicated to communities affected by rare diseases, and these patients and families are the motivation for everything we do.
We have built a team with exceptional depth of experience, unified by a common vision; to develop gene therapies with the potential to positively impact the lives of the patients and families devastated by rare and life-threatening neurological genetic diseases. Though we are proud of what we have achieved to date, we remain relentlessly focused on making that vision a reality.
Novartis Gene Therapies is seeking a gene therapy research intern for the In Vitro Cell Potency assay group to interrogate disease cellular models and target cells for improved and optimized AAV transduction. The research intern will take part of a project that will contribute to the development of therapeutic gene delivery viral vectors for rare diseases.
Project based responsibilities may include:
- Development of cell lines appropriate to pipeline programs.
- Characterization of AAV virus mediated cellular gene delivery and expression.
- Cell line engineering for enhanced transduction of adeno-associated virus and target gene expression.
The intern will:
- Actively collaborate with, and learn from, scientists within the immediate team.
- Gain knowledge of company policies, processes, and research protocols.
- Complete assigned tasks and assist with day-to-day operations.
- Follow all company regulations, and health & safety codes.
- Record & update research activities and prepare reporting documents.
- Enrolled in a 4-year program, or recently completed a bachelor's degree in biochemistry, cell biology, neuroscience, bioengineering or life sciences.
- Completed at least two years of college education before beginning the internship.
- Must be enrolled in school the semester following the internship.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Attention to details, focus on quality work and time management skills
- A positive attitude and willingness to learn.
- Clear line of communication with supervisor and senior staff.
- Experience and demonstrated autonomy in literature research and project development.
- Cell culture, basic molecular biology, assay development
- Working knowledge of cell line development and cell-based assays
- Cell engineering; Protein expression, quantification and detection, a plus.
- Useful hands-on knowledge include:
- Viral transduction, plasmid transfection, RNAi, RT-qPCR, CRISPR, Western blot, ELISA, microscopy, FACS, immunostaining.
The level of this position will be based on the final candidate's qualifications.
769 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2020, and while we're proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people's lives. We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world's toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying! Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Novartis Gene Therapies is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, genetics, disability, age, sexual orientation or veteran status.
Accessibility and reasonable accommodations
The Novartis Group of Companies are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail to email@example.com call +1 (877)395-2339 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please include the job requisition number in your message.
Need help finding the right job?We can recommend jobs specifically for you! Click here to get started.