Physician Scientist, Therapeutic Area Genetics, Ophthalmology
The Physician Scientist, Therapeutic Area Genetics (TAG), Ophthalmology will be responsible for the translation of human genetic evidence into actionable insights in neurological, psychiatric, ophthalmological, and aging-related diseases. The physician scientist will work closely with other teams in the Regeneron Genetics Center and Regeneron at large. Primary responsibilities will be to design, contribute to the execution of, and interpret large and complex human genetic studies in the therapeutic areas. Goals of the team are to apply human genetics to target discovery, select indications for drug programs, and identify subgroups of patients who are more likely to respond to treatment through genetic analyses.
A day in the life may include the following:
• Work with a multidisciplinary genetics team consisting of human genetics scientists, bioinformaticians, statistical geneticists, and other team members to design, execute, and interpret genetics studies in cardiovascular, metabolic and musculoskeletal diseases.
• Work in close collaboration with other Therapeutic Area Genetics team members and form a strong partnership with Genome Informatics, Analytical Genomics, Clinical Informatics and other RGC teams to deliver on complex, top-quality scientific endeavors in these Therapeutic Areas.
• Generate, summarize, and present results in internal and external meetings to a variety of audiences. Lead or contribute to the writing of scientific reports and publications.
• Represent the Therapeutic Area Genetics team in cross-functional initiatives within RGC and Regeneron.
• Collaborate with external industry and academic partners in scientific consortia.
This job may be for you if you have the following:
• MD or MD/PhD with strong background in and knowledge of human genetics or genetic epidemiology.
• An outstanding candidate will be an MD/PhD with training and experience in translational human genetics, genetic epidemiology (or related disciplines) and strong quantitative skills.
• Demonstrated ability to design and lead human genetics studies delivering medically relevant findings in a team-based environment.
• Ability to use medical knowledge to define relevant phenotypes for genetic association studies and to formulate innovative and important research questions. Familiarity with clinical genetics concepts and various genetic models of disease.
• Experience leading complex human genetics research endeavors. Knowledge of different study designs and analyses including GWAS, exome or genome sequencing in cohort, case-control or family-based studies. Ability to integrate different data resources to translate initial findings.
• An outstanding candidate will have experience with the use of genetics in combination with other “omics” technologies (eg. epigenetics, proteomics, RNA-seq).
• Familiarity with the applications of statistical genetics to gain medically actionable insights including polygenic risk scores, quantitative traits analyses and Mendelian randomization.
• Familiarity with command-line interface, programming languages and statistical software (eg. Python, R).
• Interest in understanding the genetic basis and causes of Neurological, Psychiatric, Ophthalmological, and Aging-related diseases and translating this knowledge into therapeutic insights. An outstanding candidate will have previous experience with phenotypes related to these diseases.
• Ability to work in a highly interactive environment with a diverse team of colleagues.
• Outstanding communication skills and an ability to summarize and present the results of human genetic studies to a variety of audiences.
• A commitment to high-quality science and to the highest standards of research and work ethics and integrity.
Does this sound like you? Apply now to take your first steps toward living the Regeneron Way! We have an inclusive and diverse culture that provides amazing benefits including health and wellness programs, fitness centers and stock for employees at all levels!
Regeneron is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion or belief (or lack thereof), sex, nationality, national or ethnic origin, civil status, age, citizenship status, membership of the Traveler community, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, familial status, marital or registered civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity status, gender identity, gender reassignment, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic in accordance with applicable laws and regulations. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application process. Please contact us to discuss any accommodations you think you may need. #REGNPSACA #MDJOBS #MDJOBSGG