Scientist - Drug Delivery and Biomaterials
At Allergan Aesthetics, an AbbVie company, we develop, manufacture, and market a portfolio of leading aesthetics brands and products. Our aesthetics portfolio includes facial injectables, body contouring, plastics, skin care, and more. Our goal is to consistently provide our customers with innovation, education, exceptional service, and a commitment to excellence, all with a personal touch. For more information, visit www.AllerganAesthetics.com.
The Scientist, Drug Delivery & Biomaterials will develop innovative biomaterials for controlled release drug delivery and next generation medical aesthetics products via chemical engineering of biomaterials (design, synthesis, modification, fabrication, and characterization of polymers) and formulation prototype development (hydrogels or particles), with the aim of achieving target bulk and surface properties for the intended product safety and efficacy profiles. The ideal candidate has a solid background in biopolymer engineering (such as synthesis or modification of biodegradable polyester/ether/urethane polymers including PLGA and PEG polymers; or biomaterials such as hyaluronic acid, or amino acid-based polymers) for drug delivery or biomedical applications, familiar with various types of biomaterial-based drug delivery technologies such as hydrogels and is effective in delivering innovation and results in a fast-paced environment.
The employee must conduct their work activities in compliance with all Allergan internal requirements and with all applicable regulatory requirements, including knowledge of operating in a controlled environment per the requirements of 21 CFR 820, ISO 13485 and ISO 14971. Allergan internal requirements include compliance with ethics, environmental health and safety, financial, human resources, and general business policies, requirements and objectives.
- Actively involved in designing and planning of experimental studies for the development of novel biomaterials, and responsible for executing those studies. Applies scientific expertise in the creation of in-house materials and the evaluation of external, existing candidates. Accumulates data and observations on candidate evaluation and makes recommendations for next steps.
- Actively works in a team environment. Frequent communication is essential and must interface with colleagues in Biomaterials Development, Analytical Services, Product Development, Research, and Tissue and Materials Science areas. Will remain as “internal consultant” as technology moves into Development and later stages according to the ADP process. May be responsible for supporting raw material efforts in choosing potential suppliers, qualifying incoming lots, developing proper analytical assays, and drafting of specifications.
- Organizes, schedules and participates in project team meetings to define and schedule project activities and review completed tasks. Communicates project status to supervisor, project team leader, other research managers, and R&D committees as appropriate. Prepares time and cost estimates of project activities for review by manager to achieve realistic project completion dates.
- Attends and participates in scientific meetings as AbbVie’s representative to gain knowledge about new products or technologies pertinent to corporate business interest. Reviews and evaluates current technical and trade literature in order to maintain and extend technical competence. Communicates new compound, product, and technology related ideas to supervisor and other research managers to maintain and enhance AbbVie’s position in the marketplace.
- Other activities (but not limited to) are as follows:
- prepares and justifies capital expenditure requests for procurement of laboratory equipment and instruments.
- interviews applicants, conducts performance appraisals, recommends personnel actions such as promotions, hiring etc.
- interacts with fellow staff colleagues in a way that adds to departmental optimal efficiency.
- Writes, reviews and issues technical reports, technical memoranda and other documents for internal and external distribution. Generates ROI’s and works closely with AbbVie patent counsel in generating IP documentation.
- Monitor group costs. Initiate personnel actions, including employee hires, promotions, transfers and discharges. Create and present employee evaluations, subject to the approval of the department Director. Assess subordinate employee training needs and conduct or recommend training as necessary. Administer employee disciplinary actions as the situation requires.
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, Polymer Science, Materials Science, or related field with at least 0+ years of industrial experience. Graduate work involving biomaterials is a plus. Candidates possessing a M.S. or B.S degree in a relevant field with 3+ or 5+, respectively, years industrial experience will also be considered. Sound knowledge of structure-property relationships as it applies to both bulk and surface attributes of polymeric materials is essential. Experience in one or more of the following technology areas is desirable: biomedical material synthesis, cross-linked/modified biomaterials, hydrogels, biodegradable polymers, polymer fabrication processes, and drug delivery systems for proteins.
- Sound knowledge and demonstrated skills in the area of biomaterials.
- Demonstrated skills in the areas of polymer synthesis, modification and/or formulation, fabrication techniques, and characterization of materials as it relates to both bulk and surface properties.
- Ability to plan and implement detail-oriented experiments with high quality and efficiency
- Ability to prioritize and manage concurrent projects.
- Ability to interpret observations with sound scientific principles.
- Ability to troubleshoot, resolve technical issues, and deliver solid results in a timely fashion.
- Ability to effectively communicate and summarize experimental data in both oral and written forms.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret scientific publications including patents, technical journals, reports, and procedures, and develop know-how toward scientific leadership.
- Ability to take initiative, make decisions within own work content, and work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to demonstrate leadership in job performance by example, including being creative and offering diversified views or solutions in solving research problems.
- Ability to offer new ideas or study proposals toward technology innovation.
- Ability to work in a team environment with other engineers and technicians, and interface or collaborate cross-functionally.
- Ability to learn and function in a controlled environment regulated by the company or relevant governing agencies and handle confidential data.
- Ability to maintain accuracy, consistency and quality of documentation while adhering to company deadlines.
- Ability to use word processing, spreadsheet and database applications.
- Ability to learn various software programs.
Significant Work Activities
Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Level Code
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.