Associate Scientist II, Fermentation
As a key member of the Fermentation Group, the primary responsibility of the Associate Scientist II (ASII) is to support fermentation operations from 2-100L scale. The ASII will work closely with other scientists to conduct microbial fermentation processes for internal and external projects. The ability to work independently and maintain cross functional communication are key position attributes. The candidate will work in a matrixed team environment, collaborating with various departments, in particular the Analytical Development Group, to ensure that fermentation processes are properly characterized to support process development, achieve project goals, and timelines.
Pelican Expression TechnologyTM (a wholly owned subsidiary of Ligand Pharmaceuticals) utilizes a proprietary protein production platform to help our partners develop protein therapeutics which meaningfully improve existing treatment paradigms and create novel therapies for biological targets linked to critical diseases still waiting to successfully be addressed.
Essentials for Working at Ligand * Ligand is a dynamic, fast-paced organization committed to creating shareholder value and addressing unmet medical needs through developing and acquiring cutting-edge, royalty-bearing technologies and establishing research collaborations that make major life-saving global drugs possible. To be successful at Ligand, employees must be innovative, efficient, versatile, self-starters who take great pride in their work and want to contribute to something significant.
Essential Role Responsibilities
- Carry out microbial fermentations and analysis according to batch records.
- Monitor fermentation equipment and process control systems to ensure parameters are within specified operating ranges.
- Contributes to the design, execution, and analysis of various platform improvement projects including fermentation process development, media optimization, and process automation.
- Contribute to the development and drafting of department procedures and work instructions
- Author/Review sections of reports and provide direct input to support data package for regulatory submission(s).Completes routine laboratory procedures ensuring accuracy and validity of results and assist with general laboratory procedures such as but not limited to preparation of solvents, buffers, resins, reagent solutions, media prep; measuring and dispensing of solid and liquid chemicals and raw materials (e.g., media & reagents).
- Generates and delivers concise/clear technical presentations to project teams
- Other duties as assigned or required.
Experience and Skills
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Microbiology/Biochemistry/Bioengineering/Chemical Engineering or related field
- Experience operating fermentation units (Sartorius, Applikon, DASGIP) and associated control software preferred
- Fluent in practical application of PC’s, Microsoft project, Word, Excel, Power point and experience to include data analyses, statistical analysis (JMP), method transfers and comparability studies
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, an innovative approach to problem-solving, an integrated view of business/scientific issues, and a strong work ethic
- Possesses and demonstrates exceptional research and resource utilization skills as well as practical problem-solving capabilities
- Proven ability to work in a lean organization and creatively tackle problems using colleague networks and publicly available solutions; work independently and successfully in a matrix environment; and prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Experience with Python (preferred), Perl, HTML, visual basic, relational databases and or SQL and programming in a UNIX/LINUX environment a plus
- Ability to work flexible work schedules
- 2+ years of industry experience
- Demonstrated excellent aseptic technique and good working knowledge of microbial fermentation
The company offers competitive benefits including medical, dental, vision, Short/Long term disability and life insurance, as well as 401(k) match, Stock Options, Bonus, and paid time leave.
- All new hires are required to go through a background and reference check
- Ligand is an EEO/AA/Disability/Vets employer
- Must be legally authorized to work in the US without sponsorship
- Ligand celebrates the diversity of life and welcomes all individuals to apply