Scientist II, Nucleotide Chemistry
Please be aware that, as a condition of employment, proof of COVID vaccination is required for all U.S.-based employees (subject to limited exceptions).
To ensure the health and safety of all PacBio employees and our prospective candidates, we have instituted a virtual interview and onboarding experience
We are seeking a talented Scientist II, Nucleotide Chemistry to join our sequencing biochemistry team. In this R&D position, the successful candidate will lead a multidisciplinary team focused on the end to end development of the core biochemistry backing PacBio's disruptive NGS platform. To be successful in this position, candidates must have a strong background in biochemistry methods and principles, nucleic acid chemistry and biology, and strong interpersonal and communication skills. The candidate will manage a small team, and report directly to the Associate Director of Biochemistry.
- Design and run enzyme-based assays and optimize biochemical reactions.
- Develop reagents and protocols for high quality DNA sequencing using PacBio's novel technologies
- Explore novel variations in next generation sequencing chemistry
- Effectively operate and communicate in a highly cross-functional environment to support the launch of a commercial sequencing instrument
- Analyze, report, and present experimental results
- Solve complex problems from first principles
- Coordinate activities across multiple functional groups and project teams
- Lead multiple projects simultaneously and efficiently
- Contribute to the development of intellectual property.
EDUCATION, SKILLS, & EXPERIENCE:
- Required: Minimum Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Chemistry, or related subject with typically 3+ years of industry experience.
- Required: Hands-on experience with design and execution of modern biochemical assays, especially as it relates to DNA amplification/modification.
- Required: Demonstrated technical proficiency in the areas of nucleic acid chemistry/biology
- Expertise in the following areas:
- DNA sequencing methods
- Enzyme kinetics
- Organic chemistry
- Statistical analysis (JMP, R, or equivalent)
ATTITUDE & ATTRIBUTES:
- Excellent communication/organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Versed in non-verbal communication, active listening, influencing peers, negotiating; ability to stay engaged and willingness to make meaningful compromises, particularly under pressure
- Stand or sit for extended periods of time
- Ability to grasp, move, or assemble very small objects
- Repeat the same movements
- See details of objects that are less than a few feet away
- See differences between colors, shades, and brightness
- Ability to lift 50lbs.
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional tasks and responsibilities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability, gender identity, and sexual orientation.