New Product Planning Director
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The TA New Product Planning Director will be responsible for developing the strategic direction across the TA Immunology pipeline, assessment of potential business development opportunities to bolster AbbVie’s position in the TA market and strategic thinking and innovation for our current on-market portfolio, including leading strategic initiatives that have a cross TA impact.
This leader will work closely with a wide array of cross functional teams, spanning research and development, regulatory, medical affairs, global commercial development, and the current TA brand teams to ensure cohesion.
Key highlights of role:
- Market understanding – Responsible for thoroughly understanding broad market dynamics, current/future trends, competitors, and white space opportunity for future entrants. He/she will also partner closely with marketing analytics and business insights as well as other cross-functional partners to garner rich understanding of all customer segments, their attitudes, motivations, and behavioral drivers to be able to identify meaningful activating insights and identify the appropriate strategic bets.
- Portfolio development- Responsible for leading the strategic marketing development for the portfolio of products franchise will bring to the TA market. He/she will be responsible for identifying market opportunities for our pipeline assets in relevant indications and the strategic approach to applying the segmentation in a simple and executable fashion that is aligned and understood by all key stakeholders.
- Business development- Responsible for collaborating with Corporate Strategy office to assess business development opportunities to bolster AbbVie’s position in the TA market.
- NPP Commercial Input– Responsible for providing US commercial input to relevant governance bodies to put the right clinical programs in place that allow assets to effectively compete in future state. Responsible for providing key commercial assumptions into financial processes such as LRP and Plan. This individual will ensure franchise stays within budget and partners with finance and other brand partners to maintain oversight throughout the year. Individual will oversee development of the early strategic plan process following the 1-7-5 methodology, ensuring that assets are positioned for success as they transition from GCD to US commercial.
- Stakeholder engagement- This individual must gain external stakeholder feedback to inform pipeline asset recommendations including market access, HCPs including External Experts (EEs), and patients, as needed, by working with respective internal colleagues and/or directly with external stakeholders when necessary.
- Label strategy- This individual will also partner the Regulatory team to ensure a robust US label, providing input on key Regulatory milestones, including FDA discussions and NDA filing.
Strategic Thinking & Innovation for on-market portfolio- Responsible for partnering with on-market brand teams to create time and space for strategic thinking and innovation to accelerate current brands including market disrupting ideas. Will support VP in developing pan-TA priorities considering opportunities and trade-offs across disease areas (including setting up leadership workshops). Will also be key partner to consolidate and monitor ongoing investment, working closely with the Brand teams finance partners, to support optimization across TA teams.
- Vision and Strategy: Provide overarching leadership and direction for Marketing vision, strategies, plans and resource investment to ensure launch readiness. Align and lead the charge. Encompass a cross-functional mindset and perspective in all strategies, working closely with partners especially across global marketing, clinical development, and commercial development.
- Leadership: Set tone and priorities for scale and scope of accountability. Influence and persuade across multiple external and internal constituents (stakeholders and partners). Infuse company philosophy and behavioral expectations in day-to-day leadership and management of the business. Uses coaching effectively and efficiently to create high-performing teams and elevate team’s marketing skills and knowledge.
- Action and Accountability: Determine appropriate action, execution, tracking and monitoring of marketing plans. Market awareness: maintain focus on and consistently triangulate market dynamics, constituents’ needs, and business priorities to determine best, market-advantaged course of action
- Strategic Impact: Formulate and adjust business plans and actions to achieve business objectives and goals, including financial, constituents and market results. Take and recommend appropriate strategic decisions and actions for the best interest of AbbVie, franchise, and brand at the varying life cycle stages.
- 10+ years of relevant brand marketing experience
- 5+ years of people management or matrix leadership experience
- Prior experience in Professional pharmaceutical marketing
- Pharmaceutical launch experience
- Strategic and tactical planning experience
- MBA or other advanced degree
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 15 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.