Scientist - Synthetic Chemistry
Element Biosciences is a multi-disciplinary startup focused on innovating genetic analysis tools for the research and clinical markets. The Company's technology will broaden the end user experience through improved data quality and simplified workflows to benefit discoveries and diagnosis in healthcare.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- As part of our R&D chemistry team, you will be an integral part of the successful synthesis, purification, and characterization of small organic molecules and synthetic macromolecules.
- Design, develop and optimize novel chemistry to facilitate project advancement and technology innovation.
- Present scientific results at project/group meetings, decision boards, and external conferences.
- Proactively seek out new information in the literature and incorporate it into individual projects.
- Cross-team collaboration to support R&D needs and provide assistance to other departments.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A strong working knowledge of organic chemistry principles and demonstrated track record of excellent experimentation.
- A general background in organic chemistry, including but not limited to organometallics, methodology/catalysis, bioconjugation, solid-phase oligonucleotide/peptide synthesis, and/or physical organic chemistry is required.
- Ability to apply physical organic chemistry principles to rationalize reaction mechanism and molecular interactions
- Proficiency in modern analytical and characterization methods, such as NMR, mass spectrometry, UV-Vis, LC, etc.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to maintain an accurate scientific notebook Compliance with lab safety and regulation requirements.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Ph.D. in chemistry, synthetic chemistry, polymer chemistry, bioorganic chemistry, or related disciplines with 0–3-years experience in pharmaceutical and/or biotech industries (an equivalent combination of experience and education may be considered)
- Experience with design and execution of practical multistep synthesis routes to target organic molecules.
- Must be able to lift 15 pounds
Please submit with this application your research statement along with your resume for consideration
We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics in an unprecedented flexibility and to understand biology for the improvement of healthcare. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness. We offer excellent benefits, which include a 401K plan, competitive health benefits, flexible vacation, and equity incentives.
We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.