Staff Engineer / Senior Engineer, Flow Cell Process Development
Element Biosciences is a multi-disciplinary startup focused on innovating genetic analysis tools for the research and clinical markets. The Company's technology will broaden the end user experience through improved data quality and simplified workflows to benefit discoveries and diagnosis in healthcare.
We are seeking a Staff Engineer / Senior Engineer, Flow Cell Process Development to join the dynamic team at Element Biosciences. This senior-level engineer will be working on and leading projects to support the transfer and commercialization processes.Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Lead projects in the microfluidics area to support the transfer and commercialization of products/processes, including development and implementation of surface deposition, metrology, and assembly processes.
- Design, plan, and execute experiments across a wide number of disciplines including microfluidics and surface chemistry.
- Design, plan, and execute product and process characterization experiments and stability studies.
- Lead teams through process improvement projects by driving execution of experimental design, data analysis, presentation of outcomes, and implementation of changes.
- Build documentation for user and system requirements, participate in product design and development, and support integration and testing activities.
- Work with development scientists/engineers and manufacturing to establish and improve standard operating procedures.
- Lead complex investigations, troubleshooting product performance and manufacturing yield issues.
- Lead development of supplier partners to support successful component development and product commercialization.
- Plan in-process quality control approach for microfluidics products and processes.
- Experimental design and statistical data analysis and visualization (such as JMP or R) are required; additional capabilities with image analysis and scripting are a plus.
- Proficient with chemical process operations and related analytical techniques and metrology including spectrophotometry, ellipsometry, AFM, LCMS, etc.
- Creative and independent thinker; excellent communication skills; good team worker; ability to multitask and work independently; and ability to find creative solutions to problems are required.
- Ability to lead teams through complex problems, tasks, and decisions is required.
- Proficient with computer software for manufacturing equipment and business systems is required.
- Ability to produce high quality work with great attention to detail in a rapid and efficient manner.
- Educational background in chemical engineering, bioengineering, materials engineering, or equivalent field of study preferred.
- Bachelor’s/Master’s degree with more than 8 years of relevant experience, OR PhD with 3-5 years of relevant experience (an equivalent combination of experience and education may be considered
- Experience in pilot/production environments, including tech transfer activities, sustaining support, and continuous improvement
- Experience with production surface chemistry deposition processes (CVD, ALD, oxygen plasma, etc.)
- Experience working directly with vendors and/or contract manufacturers
- Experience with automation of both production processes/equipment and data is a plus
We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics in an unprecedented flexibility and to understand biology for the improvement of healthcare. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness. We offer excellent benefits, which include a 401K plan, competitive health benefits, flexible vacation, and equity incentives.
We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.