Staff Automation Engineer, Neuro
Recursion is a clinical-stage biotechnology company decoding biology by integrating technological innovations across biology, chemistry, automation, data science and engineering to radically improve the lives of patients and industrialize drug discovery. Our team is working to solve some of the hardest, most meaningful problems facing human health today. Come join us in our mission to decode biology to radically improve lives, while doing the most impactful work of your life.
The Impact You’ll Make
- Automate Neurobiology In-Vitro Assays: You will lead the development and implementation of a world class automated screening system using neuronal cell types as a substrate to model human disease. Your contributions will enable our scientists to generate millions of observations of complex cell types that will lead to the discovery of novel medicines. Our future patients and your fellow Recursionauts are counting on you.
- Scale-up without Compromising Quality: Our machine learning algorithms are sensitive to process changes. You will help identify and control sources of variation in our automated processes.
- Automation Engineering Technology Lead: Suggest, test, and implement new automation and instrumentation that increases flexibility, capacity, and quality of our laboratory assays.
The Team You’ll Join
You will be joining our Automation Engineering team reporting to Recursion’s Automation Engineering manager. We deploy automation technology to enable our fellow scientists to execute on a wide variety of assays including phenotypic, multi-omics, and chemical experiments. This team works cross-functionally across Recursion’s laboratories to develop and implement robotics and automation technology systems that allow Recursionauts to execute experiments at an unprecedented scale. Our team is growing fast to support increasingly broad subject areas. We are excited to add your expertise to our team of experts in microscopy, spectroscopy, programming, fabrication, liquid handling, and automation.
The Experience You’ll Need
- Laboratory Automation:: We want someone that has experience automating work with 384 and 1536 microplates. Experience with liquid handlers, stampers, echos, automated incubators, plate readers, and robotic arms is required.
- Automation Integration: You should have experience developing on robotic workcell systems, working with multiple types of scheduling software, and instrument driver development.
- Programming Experience: Computer technology is used extensively in our laboratory systems. We are looking for someone with several years of programming experience in Python and C#.
- Neuronal Cell Type Screening: We are looking for someone that has experience deploying laboratory instrumentation to study delicate neuronal cell types.
- Education: Degree in Robotics, Biology, Informatics, Biotechnology, or related technology field with 8+ years’ experience developing solutions in automation laboratories.
The Values That We Hope You Share:
- We Care: We care about our drug candidates, our Recursionauts, their families, each other, our communities, the patients we aim to serve and their loved ones. We also care about our work.
- We Learn: Learning from the diverse perspectives of our fellow Recursionauts, and from failure, is an essential part of how we make progress.
- We Deliver: We are unapologetic that our expectations for delivery are extraordinarily high. There is urgency to our existence: we sprint at maximum engagement, making time and space to recover.
- Act Boldly with Integrity: No company changes the world or reinvents an industry without being bold. It must be balanced; not by timidity, but by doing the right thing even when no one is looking.
- We are One Recursion: We operate with a 'company first, team second' mentality. Our success comes from working as one interdisciplinary team.
Recursion spends time and energy connecting every aspect of work to these values. They aren’t static, but regularly discussed and questioned because we make decisions rooted in those values in our day-to-day work. You can read more about our values and how we live them every day here.
The Benefits/Perks You’ll Enjoy as a Full-Time Employee at Recursion:
- 100% Coverage of health, vision, and dental insurance premiums
- 401(k) with generous matching (immediate vesting)
- Stock option, restricted stock unit (RSUs) and employee stock purchase plan (ESPP) programs
- Two one-week paid company closures (summer and winter)
- Flexible vacation/sick leave
- Generous paid parental leave (including adoptive)
- Onsite daycare facility** (Salt Lake City)
- Commuter benefit and vehicle parking to ease your commute**
- Complimentary chef-prepared lunches and well-stocked snack bars** (Salt Lake City)
- Monthly fitness/wellness stipend
- One-of-a-kind 100,000 square foot headquarters complete with a 70-foot climbing wall, showers, lockers, and bike parking** (Salt Lake City)
**United States based employees
Recursion requires all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their first date of employment.
More About Us
Central to our mission is the Recursion Operating System, or Recursion OS, that combines an advanced infrastructure layer to generate what we believe is one of the world’s largest and fastest-growing proprietary biological and chemical datasets and the Recursion Map, a suite of custom software, algorithms, and machine learning tools that we use to explore foundational biology unconstrained by human bias and navigate to new biological insights which may accelerate our programs. We are a biotechnology company scaling more like a technology company. Recursion is proudly headquartered in Salt Lake City.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.