Senior Engineer, Novato Energy and Sustainability
Job Title: Senior Engineer, Novato Energy and Sustainability
Location: Novato, CA Campus
Novato Engineering and Facilities Services (NEFS) commitment is to meet or exceed BioMarin customers' and stakeholders' expected level of service by supplying leadership, technical knowledge, and innovation to advance a safe, compliant, healthy, and environmentally responsible culture. In addition, the Senior Engineer – NEFS takes responsibility for the lifecycle management of all company assets we are entrusted with.
The Senior Engineer Novato Energy and Sustainability will be responsible for the sustainability and overall energy consumption of all assets and facilities at the Novato site. BioMarin is committed to sustainability and optimizing energy use at every opportunity, hence this role will be responsible for: building a sustainability road map for the Novato site, identifying key projects, initiatives and participate as owner for the implementation of these projects to achieve overall energy reductions and/or efficiencies.
This is an individual contributor position as part of a site-based Engineering team reporting within the Engineering Function.
List the major responsibilities of the job.
- Responsible for the development and management of the site energy use and efficiency/conservation programs
- Demonstrate and apply an in-depth technical knowledge of facilities and utilities operations.
- Strong understanding the criticality of quality regulatory compliance for all assets and how changes to operating paraments can affect quality requirements
- Knowledge of Environmental and regulatory compliance as well as local and California guidelines and mandates related to Sustainability and Energy.
- Establish accurate clear energy reporting systems for the site. Set a baseline energy use for each resource. This may include a software for monitoring and storing data.
- Continually reviews and monitors site energy consumption, identifies trends or events and takes action to rectify
- Reviews energy audits, reports, and proposals related to energy efficiency, procurement, and management
- Develops and implements both short and long-term programs related to energy (and water) use
- Acts as the liaison with the site in areas of energy use and conservation, issues area reports to responsible managers to ensure energy usage is under control
- Provides information on energy use, efficiency/conservation programs, and related policies
- Develops, maintains, and enforces energy standards for both existing and new buildings and plant-related equipment
- Develops and monitors budgets for natural gas, electricity, and water
- Review’s energy and water invoices for accuracy and savings opportunities
- Supports funding strategies to support energy efficiency programs
- Manage contracts related to energy services and manages energy consultants and contractors assisting the facility
- Elevates awareness of energy and acts as a change agent on the topic of sustainability
- Demonstrate the ability to be self-directed with limited guidance and oversight from management
- Demonstrate the ability to plan and implement projects
- Stay current with leading edge technologies, trends, and best practices through contacts with industry, service/equipment providers and other formal/informal means
- Remain current on all training requirements
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Bachelor Degree or Master’s in electrical, Sustainability, Chemical, Mechanical, or other Engineering degree from an accredited College.
- Prior experience and responsibility of sustainability, energy and/or utilities operation in a manufacturing facility
- A minimum of 8 years’ experience in facilities and clean/dirty plant utilities, preferably in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry.
- Demonstrated successful engineering support of capital projects ranging from $1 to 10 million.
- Experience with electrical system design and maintenance
- Ability to lead and influence a team and colleagues not under direct supervision
- Strong organization, interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
- Proficiency with standard office software applications, including MS Word, MS Excel, MS Project, MS Power Point, MS Access.
- Lead other Engineers from the team as required. Engineers can be assigned to work with the Engineer to support relevant activities in their area.
- Lead external consultants to complete critical activities and deliver compliant work on time and to budget.
- Act as a champion and change agent in support of the Engineering Department and other BioMarin continuous improvement efforts
- Provide insightful and strategic input during Long Range Planning efforts
- Demonstrate the ability to effective work in both tactical and strategic environments
- Be perceived as a strong candidate when a mentoring or coaching opportunity arises
- Demonstrate the ability to engage, motivate and positively influence others in the pursuit of achieving program goals and objectives
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.