Automation Engineer (Joint Genome Institute)
Berkeley Lab’s Joint Genome Institute (JGI) is looking for an Automation Engineer to join their Lab Automation Team!
In this role, you will perform assignments related to operating, programming, and maintaining the instrumentation. This may include evaluating and supporting the procurement of new instrumentation, as well as troubleshooting automation systems and instruments.
This position will apply scientific, engineering, and other technical concepts to develop automated methods for sophisticated biotech-laboratory instrumentation.
What You Will Do:
- Advanced method development on Hamilton Robotic platforms.
- Evaluate manual laboratory work protocols/process and develop and optimize automated work processes.
- Calibrate and operate a variety of electronic components, devices, instruments, equipment, or systems.
- Gather feedback, requirements, and analyze data to make recommendations.
- Troubleshoot automated platforms.
- Participate in engineering and process improvement projects to gain operational efficiencies such as reductions in project cycle time, cost, and labor time.
- Serve as an additional subject matter expert for the lab automation.
- Respond to automation-based work requests in the JIRA ticketing system.
- Collaborate with vendors for support and troubleshooting of equipment as well as building and maintaining relationships.
- Partner with other engineers and vendors to execute the assembly, qualification, validation, and deployment of new and incoming automation instruments.
- Write standard operating procedures (SOPs), work instructions, and knowledge base articles.
What is Required:
- A Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent knowledge/training) in Biology, Chemistry, Engineering, or a related discipline and hands-on experience teaching, scripting, and troubleshooting laboratory automation instruments.
- Expertise in laboratory technology including programming, automated high throughput automation, and biotech instrumentation.
- Knowledge of liquid handling robotic platforms for biotechnology and advanced bio-molecular processes and sequencing technologies.
- Experience setting up communications with robotic platforms.
- Proficiency in one or more commercially available software packages such as C/C++, C#, JAVA, Visual Basic.
- Strong oral and written communication skills including experience problem solving and troubleshooting daily laboratory operations.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to work autonomously and as part of a diverse collaborative team.
What We Prefer:
- Advanced Degree (MS/PhD) in Biology, Chemistry, Engineering, or a related discipline.
- Experience with one or more of the following liquid handlers: Beckman Coulter Biomek, Hamilton NIMBUS/STAR/VANTAGE, or PE Sciclone.
For full consideration, please apply by January 28, 2022 with the following application materials
- Cover Letter - Describe your interest in this position and the relevance of your background.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Resume.
- This is a full time, exempt from overtime pay (monthly paid), 2 year, Term appointment with the possibility of renewal up to a maximum of 5 years total or conversion to Career appointment based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds, and ongoing operational needs.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- Work will be performed onsite at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Learn About Us:
Berkeley Lab (LBNL) addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
The JGI’s mission is to provide the global research community with access to the most advanced integrative genome science capabilities in support of the DOE”s research mission to solve the world’s evolving energy and environmental challenges. The JGI supports projects in genome sequencing, synthesis, transcriptomics, metabolomics, and natural products in plants, fungi, algae, and microorganisms.
Working at Berkeley Lab has many rewards including a competitive compensation program, excellent health and welfare programs, a retirement program that is second to none, and outstanding development opportunities. To view information about the many rewards that are offered at Berkeley Lab - Click Here.
Based on University of California Policy - SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program and U.S Federal Government requirements, Berkeley Lab requires that all members of our community obtain the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they are eligible. As a condition of employment at Berkeley Lab, all Covered Individuals must Participate in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program by providing proof of Full Vaccination or submitting a request for Exception or Deferral. Visit covid.lbl.gov for more information.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments.
Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab's mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity and IDEA Information Links:
Know your rights, click here for the supplement: Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4.