Associate Director, Product Management/Marketing, SBB Sequencing Platforms.
Please be aware that, as a condition of employment, proof of COVID vaccination is required for all U.S.-based employees (subject to limited exceptions).
To ensure the health and safety of all PacBio employees and our prospective candidates, we have instituted a virtual interview and onboarding experience.
Associate Director, Product Management/Marketing, SBB Sequencing Platforms
Position is ideally based in San Diego but can be remote for an exceptional candidate.
The Associate Director, Product Management will report to the VP, Product Marketing and oversee PacBio's short read product marketing efforts by leading the product marketing function to develop and deliver a fully integrated marketing strategy for the business – across product, promotion, pricing and sales enablement. The position will focus on instruments, consumables and related software product marketing for an innovative DNA sequencing company. This includes collecting, assessing and prioritizing customer and market requirements while working closely with development to deliver market leading products, and sales to drive successful product launches.
Working with internal and external teams, the Associate Director will align the teams on long-term strategic vision, lifecycle management, customer requirements, go-to-market strategy and business plans, final platform specifications and ensure overall launch readiness. Close coordination with R&D core teams, marketing colleagues in segment, corporate and regional marketing, outside partners and executive leadership will be critical to support and achieve commercial objectives.
- Lead the SBB Product Marketing team; provides small team of direct reports with coaching, training and opportunities to develop skills, and gives ongoing, constructive and timely feedback on performance and progress toward goals and expectations
- Prepare/track the global marketing budget for the product line, recommending adjustments in response to internal and external influences
- Develop detailed product strategy and roadmap for SBB portfolio to meet company objectives
- Aid in developing a holistic product strategy for the broader sequencing business to meet company objectives
- Develop pricing strategies to maximize profits and market share while balancing customer satisfaction
- Assess partnership opportunities relevant to a mid to high throughput sequencing business, including co-development, partnerships, workflow enablement
- Perform competitive and market analysis
- Work cross functionally with a core team to creatively develop and test product concepts and ideas
- Build business plans for short read sequencing platforms (instrumentation, consumables and software) that include opportunity assessment, positioning strategy, financial analysis, and required tactical plans to support successful adoption
- Work closely with multi-disciplinary teams including but not limited to R&D, Sales, Program Management, Finance and Manufacturing to ensure successful implementation of product requirements
- Deliver on an ongoing basis product requirements with associated prioritization, metrics, and supporting analysis
- Plan, lead and execute successful product launches
- Train field teams and support selling activities, including development of sales tools and collateral
- Develop product marketing materials, promotional campaigns, organize scientific events
- Coordinate production forecasts during launch, obsolescence, quality issues and promotional campaigns to ensure readiness of supply
- Efficiently respond to on-market issues
- Foster a thriving community centered on the use of PacBio sequencing in the high throughput space
- Collaborate with Applications Lab Scientists, Field Applications Specialists and Engineering, to help developing training programs and documentation
- Partner with customer support to drive customer feedback
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional tasks and responsibilities.
- Track record of success defining and launching excellent products
- 5+ years of relevant work experience in life science company or related field, ideally with > 5 years in product management marketing / product management positions
- Degree in molecular biology, engineering or associated scientific field required. Ph.D., MBA or other advanced degree desirable, but not required
- Experience across instrument, software, and consumable life science products with associated technical depth strongly preferred
- Proven ability to influence cross functional teams without formal authority, and to work effectively with customers, development, and field teams
- Experience with Agile software development process with working knowledge of JIRA
- Outstanding leadership, teamwork, and communication skills
- Must have an excellent work ethic, exceptional judgment, and unquestionable integrity
- Hands on, high energy, and highly responsive
- Ability to travel up to 30%
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability, gender identity, and sexual orientation.