As part of the Customer Education Services group, the Lab Manager will be responsible for managing and maintaining the sample prep lab and the flow cytometry and other lab equipment in the BD San Jose, CA training center. The successful candidate will work on problems of diverse scope under the direction of the Education Services Manager or designated mentor, exercising judgment within defined procedures to determine the appropriate action. Normally receives no instructions on routine work, and general instructions on new assignments.
Job responsibilities include preparation of biological samples (~70% of the time), analysis of flow cytometry data, troubleshooting and maintenance of instrumentation and creation and maintenance of lab protocols and lab workflows. Identifying needs and problems and recommending improvements. There is no direct report management responsibility in the position.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepares biological samples (human blood, cell lines, tissues, etc) for use in customer training courses, demos, and onsite customer support visits. Tests samples by flow cytometry with minimal assistance and troubleshoots common problems.
- Writes and edits laboratory protocols and trains others in laboratory procedures and safety practices.
- Maintains and restocks laboratory supplies and reagents. Tracks and performs routine maintenance on the training center’s flow cytometers and other lab equipment. Arranging equipment replacement (writing CB2s), service, and repair.
- Writes new protocols as needed. Implements new programs, tests, methods, instrumentation, and procedures by investigating alternatives; preparing proposals; developing and performing parallel testing; monitoring progress.
- Resolves laboratory problems by consulting with subject matter experts in the department and in other functions such as R&D and Service.
- Analyzes workflows and reagents and other lab supply consumption and makes adjustments to streamline processes and minimize waste.
- Assists in the maintenance of good laboratory procedures including the operation of a clean and efficient laboratory, documentation of all work, and good record keeping. Coordinate and maintain laboratory safety procedures including biohazardous and chemical waste management.
- Train new laboratory personnel on established laboratory procedures, scheduling, safety and equipment maintenance.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Promotes a safe work environment. May provide recommendations on maintaining the safety of the work environment.
- Participates in Environmental Health and Safety programs. Addresses corrective actions whenever a hazard is identified. Notifies supervisor of all observed hazardous conditions or unsafe work practices.
- Performs other related duties and assignments as required.
- B.S. in a biological science and three years laboratory experience or equivalent combination of related technical education and experience.
- Experience working with biological samples, including human blood, cell lines, tissues, etc. and preparing samples using various methods to isolate cells of interest (eg, separation of mononuclear cells from whole blood using Ficoll-Paque™)
- Experienced laboratory skills including preparation of solutions, cell counting, staining of cells with immunofluorescent markers, cell culture, and laboratory safety precautions.
- Multicolor flow cytometry and panel design experience highly preferred.
- Familiarity with MS Word, MS Excel, and MS PowerPoint.
- Effective organization and planning skills.
- Effective written, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Proven ability to multitask and work in an environment that requires flexibility with changing schedules and priorities to meet business needs, sometimes with short notice.
- Demonstrated ability to do physical activities such as walking back and forth between buildings to pickup/drop off supplies and to lift up to 50 lbs.