Scientific Associate III - In Vivo Pharmacology
At Allergan Aesthetics, an AbbVie company, we develop, manufacture, and market a portfolio of leading aesthetics brands and products. Our aesthetics portfolio includes facial injectables, body contouring, plastics, skin care, and more. Our goal is to consistently provide our customers with innovation, education, exceptional service, and a commitment to excellence, all with a personal touch. For more information, visit www.AllerganAesthetics.com.
Allergan Aesthetics (AbbVie) R&D, Biological Research is seeking a highly motivated Scientific Associate III who will contribute to the design, execution, and communication of novel multi-disciplinary research, in a highly collaborative neurotoxin discovery & innovation program. The successful candidate will contribute to projects aimed at pharmacological characterization of protein-based therapeutics. He/she/they will work independently on a variety of in vivo animal motor neuronal pharmacology models to characterize and evaluate biological compounds. This individual will organize, analyze and interpret results, come forward with recommendations, and present the findings to senior personnel and in project team meetings. Experience in handling and injecting rodents is required. The successful candidate will collaborate extensively with other Research Associates and Scientists, while taking personal responsibility for the success of assigned tasks and projects.
Furthermore, the position requires the individual to work with and in areas requiring select agents and Toxins access (i.e. Biosafety level 2 and biosafety level 3 laboratories). Access to and use of select agents is regulated by federal policies. Therefore, the candidate must conduct all work activities in compliance with AbbVie internal and applicable regulatory requirements. AbbVie internal requirements include compliance with ethics, environmental health and safety, financial, human resources, and general business policies, requirements and objectives.
- Plan, design and execute in vivo pharmacological studies focused on motor neuronal system function. Formulation and dilution of large protein molecules.
- Discuss, recommend, and plan experimental studies as needed in collaboration with other team members and/or supervisor.
- Participate in team meetings and share and present results in project team meetings, includes creation of slides.
- Develop and maintain up-to-date knowledge and skill base by reviewing the literature, attending seminars and meetings.
- Bachelor-level education in biological science field with a minimum of six years’ experience in either academic or industry setting.
- Extensive experience performing a variety of rodent in vivo behavioral and/or pharmacological assays.
- Experience with small animal handling, dosing of molecules through a variety of different routes and post-martem tissue harvest is required.
- Experience with histological techniques, including immunohistochemistry and microscopy techniques, as well as other laboratory techniques is a plus.
- Good writing and communication skills.
- Computer skills: working knowledge of MS-Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) is required. Knowledge of graphing software (e.g., GraphPad prism) and good understanding of statistical analyses is a plus.
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.