Research Scientist - Metabolomics
Matterworks, Inc. is a venture-backed biotech startup on a mission to democratize metabolomics and catalyze its widespread adoption and integration into the life sciences.
The field of metabolomics sits today where genomics was positioned in the early 2000’s: ripe for a breakthrough that drives explosive adoption of metabolomics as an essential tool for the life sciences. To realize this opportunity, Matterworks is developing innovative metabolomics methods and tools. Our platform harnesses remarkable advances in high-resolution mass spectrometry and machine learning to systematize, scale, and accelerate metabolomics workflows.
Matterworks is seeking a highly motivated bench scientist to help us develop and optimize novel methods using liquid chromatography and mass spectrometry to enable quantitative metabolomics. The ideal candidate is a standout, independent thinker with a strong technical background in mass spectrometry and adjacent technologies and a track record of developing and validating new analytical methods.
You will be expected to design, execute, and analyze the data from complex experimental workflows and collaborate closely with data science and product development teams. A deep working knowledge of liquid chromatography and mass spectrometry is essential. Familiarity with current metabolomics solutions, use cases, and data analysis tools is highly desirable.
You will learn, from experts in the field, the latest in LC-MS based metabolomics and the application of machine learning to mass spectrometry. You will have the opportunity to help build a novel product from the ground up, while learning about the product development and marketing process.
- Design, test, and optimize liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry based metabolomic workflows
- Provide technical leadership in the design and execution of experiments for the large-scale generation of metabolomics data
- Work closely with the computational team to analyze data and iterate on experimental designs and protocols
- Interface with customers and the Matterworks marketing team to understand and translate customer needs into experimental protocols and aid in the deployment of Matterworks’ technology at customer sites
- PhD or MS in chemistry, biochemistry, bioengineering, biology or related field with a focus on the development and application of advanced bioanalytical techniques incorporating mass spectrometry; BS with experience will also be considered
- 5+ years of hands-on experience with LC-MS using high resolution instrumentation
- Expertise in designing custom liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry based assays with well-characterized performance and robustness
- A first-principles thinker who is not afraid to question traditional methods
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and collaboration skills
- Desire to work in a fast-paced, dynamic startup environment
Nice to Have
- Familiarity with liquid handlers and other lab automation tools
- Expertise developing and implementing novel and semi-automated data analysis methods, ideally in metabolomics workflows
- Experience with the product development process
Compensation and Benefits
Matterworks offers a competitive base salary, stock options, and benefits (health & dental, long- and short-term disability, life insurance, 401k). Employees enjoy a flexible work & unlimited time away policy, regular team meals and outings, and company support for continued education/coursework and conference participation.
Matterworks, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All candidates for employment at Matterworks are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, or any other category protected by law.