Staff Software Engineer, Platform
Recursion is a clinical-stage biotechnology company decoding biology by integrating technological innovations across biology, chemistry, automation, data science and engineering to radically improve the lives of patients and industrialize drug discovery. Our team is working to solve some of the hardest, most meaningful problems facing human health today. Come join us in our mission to decode biology to radically improve lives, while doing the most impactful work of your life.
The Impact You’ll Make
- Create a world-class software platform. You'll work with Data Scientists, Machine Learning Scientists, Biologists, and Automation Scientists in building a platform for generating and storing petabytes of data, iterating quickly on novel analyses, and prototyping new deep learning models
- Set and raise technical standards for both work and mentorship of senior contributors.
- Build relatability into a heterogeneous dataset. At Recursion, we generate datasets based on a wide swath of diverse biological models and treatment approaches. You'll work with Data Scientists to build relatability and queryability into these datasets so they can be used in five years to answer the sorts of questions we haven't even thought of asking yet.
- Act as a mentor, coach, and sponsor. You will share your technical knowledge and experiences, delivering impact, learning, and growth within and beyond the team.
The Team you will join
Our growing platform team is a team of engineers that operate and maintain the data pipeline that receives, uploads, indexes, and processes the raw data from our High Throughput Lab into several aggregated or featurized forms for use downstream by other Engineers and Data Scientists. They work to iteratively transform the pipeline into a platform to empower downstream Engineers and Data Scientists to establish their own pipelines and data processing.
You will work on several services, working with RESTful APIs, event streaming, and third-party integrations, building tooling to provide easy and flexible access to over 10 petabytes of data, events for triggering computation or tracking state, and automated visibility into the progress of data pipelines.
The Experience You’ll Need
- Though we don’t have specific targets around the number of years worked, we are looking for people with wide experience to be a leader growing the team.
- Experience sharing insights both in the team and across the company.
- “Be glue” and help connect people across the organization to meet the needs of your team.
- Experience programming in projects with unknowns and technical complexity, spanning multiple systems and involving diverse technologies.
- Experience collaborating with engineers on and off team to complete large projects.
- A people-first mindset. Despite the deadlines, we always prioritize supporting our coworkers in their growth and experience.
- Experience delivering well tested and instrumented code that can be continuously deployed in small impactful chunks.
Biology or chemistry background is not necessary, but intellectual curiosity is a must!
The Values That We Hope You Share:
- We Care: We care about our drug candidates, our Recursionauts, their families, each other, our communities, the patients we aim to serve and their loved ones. We also care about our work.
- We Learn: Learning from the diverse perspectives of our fellow Recursionauts, and from failure, is an essential part of how we make progress.
- We Deliver: We are unapologetic that our expectations for delivery are extraordinarily high. There is urgency to our existence: we sprint at maximum engagement, making time and space to recover.
- Act Boldly with Integrity: No company changes the world or reinvents an industry without being bold. It must be balanced; not by timidity, but by doing the right thing even when no one is looking.
- We are One Recursion: We operate with a 'company first, team second' mentality. Our success comes from working as one interdisciplinary team.
Recursion spends time and energy connecting every aspect of work to these values. They aren’t static, but regularly discussed and questioned because we make decisions rooted in those values in our day-to-day work. You can read more about our values and how we live them every day here.
The Benefits/Perks You’ll Enjoy as a Full-Time Employee at Recursion:
- 100% Coverage of health, vision, and dental insurance premiums
- 401(k) with generous matching (immediate vesting)
- Stock option, restricted stock unit (RSUs) and employee stock purchase plan (ESPP) programs
- Two one-week paid company closures (summer and winter)
- Flexible vacation/sick leave
- Generous paid parental leave (including adoptive)
- Onsite daycare facility** (Salt Lake City)
- Commuter benefit and vehicle parking to ease your commute**
- Complimentary chef-prepared lunches and well-stocked snack bars** (Salt Lake City)
- Monthly fitness/wellness stipend
- One-of-a-kind 100,000 square foot headquarters complete with a 70-foot climbing wall, showers, lockers, and bike parking** (Salt Lake City)
**United States based employees
Recursion requires all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their first date of employment.
More About Us
Central to our mission is the Recursion Operating System, or Recursion OS, that combines an advanced infrastructure layer to generate what we believe is one of the world’s largest and fastest-growing proprietary biological and chemical datasets and the Recursion Map, a suite of custom software, algorithms, and machine learning tools that we use to explore foundational biology unconstrained by human bias and navigate to new biological insights which may accelerate our programs. We are a biotechnology company scaling more like a technology company. Recursion is proudly headquartered in Salt Lake City.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.