Senior Scientist I/II, Immuno Oncology Discovery
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Senior Scientist I/II, Immuno Oncology Discovery
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have aremarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at
www.abbvie.com (https://www.abbvie.com). Follow @abbvie on Twitter (https://twitter.com/abbvie), Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/AbbVieGlobal), Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/abbvie/?hl=en),YouTube(https://www.youtube.com/user/AbbVie) and LinkedIn (https://www.linkedin.com/company/abbvie).
Since 2013, AbbVie has expanded its commitment to the San Francisco Bay Area with the consolidation of three Bay Area facilities to a new Bay Area headquarters in South San Francisco. AbbVie employees in the Bay Area drive AbbVie’s research-based, innovation driven missions in healthcare. Specifically, Bay Area employees bring deep scientific expertise and commercial excellence to advance cancer care. Current oncology areas of focus include immuno-oncology, tumor targeting, tumor dependency and precision medicine. With facilities positioned in the heart of the biotechnology industry, we are able to collaborate with the best and brightest minds in oncology.
Oncology is a key therapeutic area for AbbVie, with a portfolio consisting of three marketed products — Imbruvica, Venclexta, and Empliciti — and a pipeline containing multiple promising new molecules that are being studied in nearly 200 clinical trials in 19 different types of cancer. AbbVie is expanding its oncology hub on the West Coast, with three sites in the San Francisco Bay Area (Redwood City, South San Francisco, and Sunnyvale) moving into a brand-new site in South San Francisco and focusing on the discovery and development of novel oncology therapies. More than 1,000 AbbVie scientists, clinicians, and product developers with strong entrepreneurial roots work across these three sites. They combine their expertise in immuno-oncology, stem cells, and cell-signaling with their knowledge of bispecific antibodies, antibody-drug conjugates(ADCs), and covalent-inhibitor technologies to discover and develop novel cancer treatments. This position is based at AbbVie’s new South San Francisco, CA location.
We are seeking a highly motivated and experienced Sr. Scientist I/II to join AbbVie’s growing Immuno-oncology team. The successful candidate will join a dynamic team focusing on T/NK biology and tumor microenvironment and work with the team of scientists to identify and evaluate novel targets and novel protein engineering approaches (immune-cytokines and bispecifics) in the field of cancer immunotherapy and contribute to the growing discovery pipeline. The desired candidate will have a solid understanding of immunology and cancer immunotherapy. The successful candidate will develop productive collaborations and communications with other groups across scientific disciplines and will be motivated to innovate and succeed in a fast-paced and collaborative research laboratory environment.
- Responsibilities include the establishment of relevant in vitro immunological assays, the evaluation of potential therapeutics in relevant in vivo models, identification and validation of potential biomarkers in pre-clinical animal samples and conducting studies to provide the rationale for a development path.
- Designing and executing experiments to inform target identification and validation in immune cells using a variety of approaches, including CRISPR-screening in primary immune cells.
- The ideal candidate will be expected to work independently on the design, execution, and interpretation of experimental results.
- Leading and executing scientific research of early-stage immune oncology discovery programs and developing strategy in moving those programs through internal milestones.
- Maintain accurate and timely records of experimental designs, assay development, experimental results, and data analysis.
- Generating scientific proposals and maintaining a high level of productivity in the lab.
- Promoting AbbVie scientific reputation through writing reports, making internal presentations, and publishing original discovery in peer-reviewed journals.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are essential.
- Ability to evaluate the scientific literature critically and to adopt novel technologies to facilitate research is essential.
- Mentoring/supervising junior scientists
- Sr. Scientists II: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education and 12 years of experience, Master’s degree or equivalent education and 10 years of experience, PhD and 4 years of experience.
- Sr. Scientist I: Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent education and 10 years of experience, Master’s Degree or equivalent education and 8 years of experience, PhD and 0-3 years of experience.
- Strong knowledge and technical expertise in immunology and oncology research with demonstrated ability to perform and develop in vitro/ex-vivo assays. Experience on immune-cytokines and bispecifics is a plus.
- The ideal candidate will have proficiency in a wide range of laboratory techniques, especially in mammalian cell culture, cell transfection, immunoassays (ELISA, MLR, proliferation, cytotoxicity assays, Luminex, etc), cellular functional assays (luminescence), multicolor flow cytometry, proficiency in performing data clustering with different software, experimental planning, analysis and data interpretation.
- Experience evaluating protein therapeutics (in vitro and ex-vivo), as is a willingness to adopt new laboratory skills as needed.
- Contribute to the preparation and submission of technical reports, prepare clear and concise summaries of their data and present to the project team.
- Proactively support the team by being a team player and foster strong cross team and cross functional collaborations
Significant Work Activities
Yes, 10 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.