Senior / Principal Infrastructure Engineer
About the role
Sana Biotechnology is growing, and we are hiring new team members who believe in the potential of engineered cells as medicines, who want to challenge status quo, and lead with the desire to work on novel ideas.
As a Senior/Principal Infrastructure Engineer, reporting to the Head of Research Computing, you will be the technical lead for the ongoing design, implementation, and management of Sana's research computing platform. You'll develop and execute a plan for assembling and running a cloud-based facility that supports software development, bioinformatic analyses, data management, and research operations. You'll need to be comfortable with creating and maintaining secure cloud infrastructure, building and deploying scientific software, supporting large-scale data collections, and managing reliable services. Your work will be the foundation upon which many groups within Sana build their work.
What you’ll do
- Lead the development and maintenance of Sana's research computing infrastructure
- Build and deploy infrastructure in AWS, using infrastructure as code practices
- Guide architectural and technical decisions to help improve the quality of our software and infrastructure
- Lead the adoption and development of industry best-practices for DevOps activities, including automated deployment, incident management, monitoring, cloud security, continuous integration, backups, and resiliency
- Work with the Computational Biology team to build a platform for scalable and reproducible scientific computing
- Work with the Computational Engineering team to support their software development life cycle
- Work with the Data Infrastructure team to support the ingestion, movement, and management of our research data
- Work with the Lab Computing team to integrate instruments, software, and processes with our computing platform
- Work with the research community to understand and support their computing needs
- Work with the corporate IT teams to ensure that the research computing platform integrates smoothly into the corporate environment
What we’re looking for
- BA or MS plus 10+ yrs or equivalent combination of education and work experience in a scientific/technical discipline; PhD with 8+ yrs experience in academic research or industry
- Experience communicating infrastructure strategy at varying levels of detail across the organization
- Expertise with Infrastructure-as-code deployment (e.g. Terraform, CloudFormation, Packer) and configuration management (e.g. Ansible, Chef) tools
- Experience using CI/CD tools (e.g. GitLab CI) to build tools and deploy infrastructure
- Experience managing scalable compute infrastructure in the cloud
- Experience building and deploying scientific software using well-principled tools for (e.g. Spack)
- Background in Linux system administration
- Experience with file sharing infrastructure, including SMB/CIFS and NFS
- Experience with container technologies (e.g. Docker, Singularity, Kubernetes)
- Track-record of collaborating in a matrix environment and leading by influence across functional and organizational lines
- Strong analytical, problem solving, critical thinking and decision-making skills
- Track-record of adapting to the increased scope and complexity of work brought on by growth and managing through change
What will separate you from the crowd
- AWS Certification(s) such as Solutions Architect Pro, DevOps Engineer Pro, SysOps Admin, Developer Associate
- Familiarity with additional computational tools frameworks
- Life sciences experience
What you should know
- Working safely in person on a predictable and regular in-person basis is an essential job function for this position, and the Company requires that all individuals working in-person be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including receipt of a vaccine booster shot if recommended by the CDC
How we work together
- Lead from every seat – we seek to understand, act with honesty, and engage in the crucial conversations
- Thrive as a team – we hire amazing people, are intensely curious, and cultivate inclusion and personal connectivity
- Make it happen – we value vigorous debate, alignment around our decisions, and resilient execution
Get to know us
At Sana, we believe that a diverse workforce strengthens us as a company and helps us to achieve our mission to meaningfully change the outcome of many human diseases. This belief is a pillar of our business and is critical to our success. Our goal is that Sana is the place for talented people to bring their authentic selves to work, to have a great career and to deeply, positively impact patients.
Core to our values, we believe there is nothing more important than the health and wellness of you and your family. For benefit eligible employees, we cover 100% of the cost for employee health coverage and offer generous time-off, parental leave, short- and long-term disability, financial wellness programs, a 401(k) Plan, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, commuter subsidy and a variety of wellness offerings to support each person individually.
We are committed to providing a workplace free of discrimination and harassment based on race, color, religion, age, gender, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental or sensory disability (including the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability), genetic information, actual or perceived HIV or Hepatitis C infection, medical condition (cancer or a record or history of cancer and genetic characteristics), marital status, sexual orientation, sexual preference, pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions), disability, veteran status, political ideology, taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
To perform this job successfully, you must be able to perform each job responsibility satisfactorily. The job description listed above is representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required for this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions described above.