Sr. Lab Automation Engineer
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Abbvie is seeking a qualified, highly motivated individual as an Automation Engineer/Scientist I/Scientist II, supporting high throughput Protein Analytic, in our Bioresearch Center in Worcester, MA. The successful candidate will be responsible for the evaluation and implementation High Throughput (HTP) automated analytical platforms and robotic liquid handlers for sample preparation, execution, and automated data analysis for HPLC, CE_SDS (SciEx/PekenElmer instruments), icIEF (ProtineSimple), and ELISA. Additionally, the candidate will support the development HTP process for routine analytical testing support to Upstream, Downstream, and Cell Line Development (CLD) groups focused on protein products.
- Develop and implement High Throughput (HTP) automated analytical platforms and robotic liquid handlers for sample preparation.
- Responsible for operating and monitoring routine automation runs that perform complex automation workflows supporting analytical platforms for protein sample preparation.
- Perform automation method optimizations, process improvements, and instrument performance verifications.
- Highly autonomous and productive in HTP research or method development, requiring only minimal direction from or interaction with supervisor.
- Operate and proactively maintain robotic liquid handlers and integrated robotic platforms for protein characterization.
- Participate in programming and execution of new methods to expand throughput and capacity. Identify bottlenecks and perform new technology evaluations.
- Support troubleshooting automation challenges and instrument issues and propose solutions.
- Generate and maintain automation SOP documentation, provide training to end users as necessary.
- Effectively collaborate with intradepartmental teams such as upstream process development, downstream process development, and cell line development teams.
- Rapidly adapt to changes in enterprise critical priorities.
- Understand large data sets, perform data analysis, and high throughput data management including data visualizations.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent education with 5+ years of experience, or Master’s Degree or equivalent education with 3-5 years of experience, or Ph.D. or equivalent education with 0-2 years of experience in Engineering, Life Sciences, or Computer science with demonstrated experience in automation (i.e. Hamilton, TECAN, Agilent, SciEx,).
- Ability to operate and execute complex automation workflows in fast paced, high pressure environment
- Willingness to undertake repetitive automation tasks
- Ability to troubleshoot and solve difficult problems with laboratory instruments using critical thinking skills
- Strong interest in automation method development and programming
- Proven skills to independently design, execute and interpret critical experiments and to determine next steps based on outcomes
- Demonstrated ability to implement and master new instrumentation
- Experience with handling high throughput data analytics
- Excellent attention to details, careful record-keeping, strong time management skills with executing multi-step experiments
- Strong interest in working in a highly collaborative environment to streamline manual processes into automation workflows
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task across projects while keeping deliverables within timelines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience with one or more robotic liquid handlers from Hamilton, Tecan, Beckman Coulter or Agilent Technologies
- Experience in the following applications preferred: icIEF, CE-SDS, CEX, SEC or other separation assays.
- Working knowledge of automation instrumentation, such as reagent dispensers, high throughput plate imagers, automated incubators, or robotic arms
- Demonstrated ability to utilize laboratory information management systems (LIMS)
- Familiarity with any major programming language (C#, C++, VBA, Python)
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.