Scientific Review Officer
We are currently searching for a Scientific Review Officer to support o perform the administrative review of grant applications, identify specific areas of scientific expertise within the applications, recruit experts in the identified scientific areas to participate in peer review panels, and coordinate the review process of applications according to NIH review policies. This opportunity is full-time, and it is on site in Bethesda, MD.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Mentors and coaches peer reviewers in the performance of reviews.
- Identify the administrative and the scientific issues in the grant applications or contract proposals, including the hypotheses and rationale presented in the applications/ proposals.
- Determine whether appropriate human subject and animal information is contained in the applications.
- Ensure that summary statements and technical evaluation reports are compiled and edited to produce high quality documents.
- Proofread, clarify, and edit reviews, summaries, and reports.
- Review and prepare written reviews of research grant applications, evaluate incoming applications for completeness and accuracy.
- Work with staff to manage the scientific peer review of grant and cooperative agreement applications, and contract proposals assigned for primary merit review.
- Provide timely response to all inquiries from program, reviewers, and applicants and keep informed of all actions.
- Identify and select reviewers by matching the expertise of the reviewers to the research grant applicationand with the specific science contained in the research grant applications and recommend potential reviewers.
- Collaborate with staff to identify and coordinate the participation of reviewers for each application received and identify and coordinate the participation of reviewers for grant applications.
- Make initial determinations regarding the appropriate assignment of all grants.
- Review draft documents and synthesize comments and incorporate appropriate comments from reviewers into final documents.
- Assist staff in the development of summary statements for grant application reviews, Upload, write and edit draft summary statements.
- Assign applications to reviewers.
- Examine key personnel, institutional affiliations and letters of support associated with each grant application to determine potential conflicts of interest; enter, update, and check the correctness of conflict data for all reviewers.
- Schedule review meetings, prepare materials for reviewers, interact with staff; attend study section meetings and support the federal Scientific Review Officer by taking note of discussions; consult with staff as necessary to ensure smooth execution of pre- and post-meeting details.
- Obtain, evaluate, and coordinate written critiques from expert reviewers; manage the coordination of critiques from expert reviewers; ensure that high quality written reviews are obtained.
- PhD degree in Neuroscience, Physiology, Pharmacology, Molecular Biology, Miscellaneous Biology, Microbiology, Genetics, Biochemical Sciences, Biology,or related discipline
- At least 3 years of experience
- Peer review process for grants
- Grants and contract mechanisms
- Organizational management
- Human research subject protections
- Microsoft office suite including Outlook and SharePoint
Due to our contractual requirements and federal orders, including an Executive Order from the White House and an emergency regulation from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), the position for which you are applying requires that you provide proof of your vaccination status. If you are unable to receive the COVID-19 vaccine for medical reasons or because of a sincerely held religious belief, you may request an exemption from the vaccination requirement which shall be reviewed after the submission of requested documentation. If an accommodation is granted, the conditions may include weekly testing and masking. All Guidehouse employees also agree to follow any additional health and safety mitigation policies that may be required in the workplace.
Dovel Technologies and its Family of Companies (Medical Science & Computing and Ace Info Solutions) was acquired in October 2021.
Guidehouse is a leading global provider of consulting services to the public sector and commercial markets, with broad capabilities in management, technology, and risk consulting. By combining our public and private sector expertise, we help clients address their most complex challenges and navigate significant regulatory pressures focusing on transformational change, business resiliency, and technology-driven innovation. Across a range of advisory, consulting, outsourcing, and digital services, we create scalable, innovative solutions that help our clients outwit complexity and position them for future growth and success. The company has more than 12,000 professionals in over 50 locations globally. Guidehouse is a Veritas Capital portfolio company, led by seasoned professionals with proven and diverse expertise in traditional and emerging technologies, markets, and agenda-setting issues driving national and global economies.
Guidehouse is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, age, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.
Guidehouse will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law or ordinance, including the Fair Chance Ordinance of Los Angeles and San Francisco.
If you have visited our website for information about employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require accommodation, please contact Guidehouse Recruiting at 1-571-633-1711 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@guidehouse.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodation.
Guidehouse does not accept unsolicited resumes through or from search firms or staffing agencies. All unsolicited resumes will be considered the property of Guidehouse, and Guidehouse will not be obligated to pay a placement fee.