Software Engineer, Developer Experience
Recursion is a clinical-stage biotechnology company decoding biology by integrating technological innovations across biology, chemistry, automation, data science and engineering to radically improve the lives of patients and industrialize drug discovery. Our team is working to solve some of the hardest, most meaningful problems facing human health today. Come join us in our mission to decode biology to radically improve lives, while doing the most impactful work of your life.
The Impact You’ll Make
- Improve the experiences of your peers across the organization. We are growing quickly and need to ensure that we are setting all of our technology teams up to make an impact.
- Promote a DevSecOps culture at Recursion. You'll partner with teams throughout Recursion to help them improve their capabilities to deliver and operate software quickly and reliably.
- Promote learning within the team by researching and testing new approaches, tooling, and practices before they are expected to be needed, and partner with other teams to promote learning and improvement across the tech organization.
- Participate in deep technical discussions within your team and across partner teams, with extra attention to clarifying unknowns.
- Achieve quarterly goals, setting and adjusting expectations based on regular, iterative feedback from prototypes and shipping software tooling and infrastructure into production.
The Team You'll Join
The Infrastructure and Tools team is a team of engineers with backgrounds in infrastructure automation, software development, security, and machine learning. The team develops tools and infrastructure automation which plays an essential role in enabling people throughout the tech organization to provide new functionality to help us find treatments for disease. Every software engineer, data scientist, and automation engineer should be able to make changes that ship to production in an automatic manner, and tooling supported by the team should make it as easy as possible to create new services, integrate them with our infrastructure and observability tooling, and deliver in an automated and reliable manner. You will report to the Director of Engineering.
The Experience You'll Need
- Experience collaborating on technical teams.
- Some experience and excitement about infrastructure or software in production environments.
- Past record of learning from and teaching peers in areas of performance, scalability, observability, and system architecture.
- Passion creating a world class developer experience of your peers, and willingness to take on ambitious goals to make that happen.
The Values That We Hope You Share:
- We Care: We care about our drug candidates, our Recursionauts, their families, each other, our communities, the patients we aim to serve and their loved ones. We also care about our work.
- We Learn: Learning from the diverse perspectives of our fellow Recursionauts, and from failure, is an essential part of how we make progress.
- We Deliver: We are unapologetic that our expectations for delivery are extraordinarily high. There is urgency to our existence: we sprint at maximum engagement, making time and space to recover.
- Act Boldly with Integrity: No company changes the world or reinvents an industry without being bold. It must be balanced; not by timidity, but by doing the right thing even when no one is looking.
- We are One Recursion: We operate with a 'company first, team second' mentality. Our success comes from working as one interdisciplinary team.
Recursion spends time and energy connecting every aspect of work to these values. They aren’t static, but regularly discussed and questioned because we make decisions rooted in those values in our day-to-day work. You can read more about our values and how we live them every day here.
The Benefits/Perks You’ll Enjoy as a Full-Time Employee at Recursion:
- 100% Coverage of health, vision, and dental insurance premiums
- 401(k) with generous matching (immediate vesting)
- Stock option, restricted stock unit (RSUs) and employee stock purchase plan (ESPP) programs
- Two one-week paid company closures (summer and winter)
- Flexible vacation/sick leave
- Generous paid parental leave (including adoptive)
- Onsite daycare facility** (Salt Lake City)
- Commuter benefit and vehicle parking to ease your commute**
- Complimentary chef-prepared lunches and well-stocked snack bars** (Salt Lake City)
- Monthly fitness/wellness stipend
- One-of-a-kind 100,000 square foot headquarters complete with a 70-foot climbing wall, showers, lockers, and bike parking** (Salt Lake City)
**United States based employees
More About Us
Central to our mission is the Recursion Operating System, or Recursion OS, that combines an advanced infrastructure layer to generate what we believe is one of the world’s largest and fastest-growing proprietary biological and chemical datasets and the Recursion Map, a suite of custom software, algorithms, and machine learning tools that we use to explore foundational biology unconstrained by human bias and navigate to new biological insights which may accelerate our programs. We are a biotechnology company scaling more like a technology company. Recursion is proudly headquartered in Salt Lake City.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.