Investigative Toxicologist/Safety Pharmacologist
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
AbbVie's Investigative Toxicology and Safety Pharmacology group is an innovative, functional and integrated scientific team contributing to the advancement of the overall portfolio. The Project Scientist will focus on providing Discovery teams with integrated strategic preclinical safety plans. An understanding of early screening for preclinical safety and the ability to integrate in vitro and in vivo data are requirements. The ability to collaborate across teams in a matrix environment is essential.
Essential Job Function/Description:
- Provide leadership and direction as the nonclinical safety point-of-contact and subject matter expert for Discovery projects covering toxicology and safety pharmacology disciplines. Key responsibilities include assessing the safety profile of the target, designing toxicology and pharmacology studies, developing a target specific screening strategy to support compound development, and communicating the project strategies and testing plans to leadership.
- Conduct hypothesis-driven pre-clinical safety characterization focused on enabling accelerated decisions regarding target viability and internal prioritization of early lead molecules
- Partner with key allied functions (e.g., DMPK, formulation scientists, anatomic and clinical pathologists, project leaders, discovery biologists, design and synthetic chemists) for strategic design and implementation of experimental plans and protocols
- Ensure alignment between preclinical safety and discovery colleagues ensuring smooth and efficient transition of projects to Early and Mid-Development
- Lead cross-functional efforts to investigate the mechanism of and the relevance of in vitro and in vivo data derived from state-of-the-art laboratories
- Strategically apply expertise to elucidate mechanisms of toxicity, improve risk assessment, and solve scientific problems
- Partner with regulatory toxicologists, molecular toxicologists, safety pharmacologists and other functions to develop optimal strategies to address specific issues as well as select and advance Development compounds
- Maintain a strong, externally recognized reputation in field of expertise
- Represent AbbVie in industrial consortia and professional organizations focused on improving non-clinical safety assessment
- DVM and/or PhD in Toxicology, Pharmacology, Pathology or a related field
- 6+ years of experience in pharmaceutical research, especially in investigative preclinical safety
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proven record of scientific contributions to the scientific community
- Ability to bridge between the Discovery and Development environment
- Ability to lead multidisciplinary scientific teams in a matrix environment
Preferred (or encouraged):
- ACVP certification
- DABT certification
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.