Sr. Scientist –Cell and Molecular Biology
At Allergan Aesthetics, an AbbVie company, we develop, manufacture, and market a portfolio of leading aesthetics brands and products. Our aesthetics portfolio includes facial injectables, body contouring, plastics, skin care, and more. Our goal is to consistently provide our customers with innovation, education, exceptional service, and a commitment to excellence, all with a personal touch. For more information, visit www.AllerganAesthetics.com.
Allergan Aesthetics R&D, Biological Research is seeking a highly motivated and innovative candidate for the role of Sr. Scientist –Cell and Molecular Biology. The successful candidate will lead and contribute to the discovery and validation of targets in medical aesthetics, by developing and deploying cell and molecular biology techniques to evaluate therapeutic targets and testable hypotheses. He/she/they will participate in a team of scientists to lead and conduct various activities including target identification/validation and drug discovery using in vitro, ex vivo, -omics methodologies to evaluate pharmacology in collaboration with internal and external stake holders/experts. Prior experience with in vitro models of the skin and/or hair are highly desired. The person should be a highly motivated, hands-on experimentalist who is also capable to leading scientific projects and thriving in a multidisciplinary environment. Emphasis is on the ability to successfully perform hands-on work and lead discovery projects with minimal supervision, demonstrate scientific leadership skills and interact in a team environment.
- Lead and implement molecular and cell biology models to support target validation and progression of early-stage targets in medical aesthetics.
- Research and understand relevant target/disease biology; design and implement experimentation to validate hypotheses.
- Prepare presentations and represent the group to cross-functional teams.
- Train and mentor research associates when appropriate
- Maintain awareness of current developments in the field through comprehensive reading and analysis of the literature and attendance at appropriate scientific meetings.
- Understand the competitive landscape and participate in the review and analysis of outside opportunities.
- Ph.D. in cell and molecular biology or equivalent with experience in dermatology, cancer biology or pharmacological evaluation of drugs, 5+ years of postdoctoral or industry experience preferred.
- MS-level education with a minimum of 10 years’ experience in either academic or industry laboratory setting with experience in dermatology, cancer biology or pharmacological evaluation of drugs
- Extensive experience in mammalian tissue culture and complex cell models to evaluate function. translational in vitro functional assays with primary cells and the application of these techniques to pharmacological studies is required.
- Experience with ASO and siRNA design and implementation in target validation and functional studies.
- Experience with qPCR, western blot, ELISA, Luminex and immunofluorescence techniques
- Experience in analysis of big data sets (NGS, -omics, etc.) a plus
- Strong scientific skills with the ability to collaborate with project team members.
- Must be able to multitask effectively and be adaptable and flexible to meet changing priorities.
- Motivated team player with a can-do attitude.
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Committed to the values of integrity, accountability, transparency, scientific rigor and drive.
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.