Principal Platform Business System Owner
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Principal Platform Business System Owner is a recognized technical expert in Dev Sci Enterprise data systems who drives improved functional performance by designing and implementing advanced capabilities for the capture and retrieval of key scientific data. He/she will partner with Information Research, data system vendors and contract staff/consultants to develop workflow templates, custom fields & calculations and other functionality in Core Enterprise Data Systems (incl. eLN, EMPOWER Chromatography Data System, CMC LIMS, Spectrus Platform, R-LIMS, etc.) to support Dev Sci business needs. Serves as the voice of scientists and Dev Sci system users regarding system issues and enhancements required to enable current & new data & digital capabilities, provide system user training to support new system implementations and upgrades, help scientists troubleshoot data system issues to enable and improve Dev Sci workflows and data flows.
- Develops and achieves a data systems strategy for core systems within his/her scope of responsibilities in alignment with Dev Sci functional goals and key scientific objectives.
- Collaborates with experts across Dev Sci functions to integrate scientific objectives into new/improved Dev Sci data systems and data systems tools.
- Supports user requirements engineering in partnership with Dev Sci functions. Consults regarding suitability of a given business platform (“as-is”, “enhanced”) and “buy vs. build” decisions in alignment with the over-arching Dev Sci data- and systems architecture.
- Closely interacts with business platform vendor (together with BTS / IR IT System Owner) and keeps up to date with new developments. Responsible for life cycle management (update, upgrade, enhancement) of a given business platform from a functional perspective.
- Drives use of Agile methodology to ensure efficient systems and applications development that puts prototype solutions into the hands of Dev Sci scientists with rapid iteration of further enhancements.
- Drives implementation of data contracts between any new IT solution and the Dev Sci Data Warehouse to ensure that the data moved into the Warehouse is aligned with the defined Dev Sci data architecture.
- Ensures the quality and effectiveness of key results that advance the Dev Sci Digital Transformation through sound design, risk assessments and implementation of back-up strategies
- Recognized technical expert across multiple core Dev Sci business platform systems. Proactively advises and shares knowledge and expert opinions with subordinates, peers and senior management. Mentors and trains functional colleagues in core data systems to advance Dev Sci knowledge management and Convergence objectives.
- Applies imagination and innovation by creating, inventing and implementing new or better approaches, alternatives and breakthrough ideas that are valued by customers in the functions.
- May mentor/supervise a team of one or more employees or contractors and evaluate the performance of those individuals; is accountable for the effective performance of the team/individuals.
- Presents data systems concepts and results to scientific and non-scientific stakeholders and leaders. Maximizes impact and value of expertise.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent education and typically 16 years of experience, Master’s Degree or equivalent education and typically 14 years of experience, PhD and typically 8 years of experience.
- Background and experience in core Dev Sci business platforms including one or more of the following: eLN, EMPOWER Chromatography Data System, CMC LIMS, Spectrus Platform, R-LIMS and/or other relevant laboratory and manufacturing data systems.
- Proven ability to innovate with a history of new or improved scientific workflows or data systems advancements.
- Interacts effectively and influences diverse groups and maintains strong working relationships with internal and external collaborators.
- The ideal candidate brings a blend of strong scientific experience in the biotech/pharma industry and excellent IT skills.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.