Seeking a highly motivated individual to join us as the Payroll Manager. The Payroll Manager is responsible for semi-monthly payroll processing for a growing, multi-state organization including, but not limited to, new hires, terminations, bonuses, leaves of absence (LOA), direct deposits, wage garnishments, vacation accruals, tax changes, healthcare premium deductions, and 401(k) deductions, as well as administration of the stock options database. Manages third-party payroll-related vendors, ensures compliance in all areas of payroll, and works directly with employees to resolve outstanding payroll inquiries.
Role and Responsibilities (included, but not limited to):
- Manages all aspects of the semi-monthly payroll processing in multiple states for 80+ employees using Coastal (“iSolved”) payroll system ensuring accuracy, compliance and outstanding service goals are consistently met.
- Acts as the first point of contact for employees regarding payroll-related matters.
- Proactively identifies and resolves payroll discrepancies and determines the most appropriate method of communication to employees.
- Ensures that payroll operations are conducted in accordance with Sarbanes-Oxley internal controls.
- The position is an individual contributor and does not have people management responsibilities.
- Maintains a high level of confidentiality at all times related to compensation information.
- Manages 3rd party payroll-related vendor relationships.
- Prepares and maintains payroll records and reports, including standard and ad hoc reports to ensure data integrity, accuracy, and timeliness as required by Finance, HR, and Equity Stock Administration.
- Prepares journal entries, performs month-end analysis and reconciliation of General Ledger accounts.
- Reviews and reconciles quarterly and annual, federal and state, payroll tax returns.
- Reviews and distributes annual W-2s.
- Prepares semi-monthly 401(k) transmittals for employee deferrals.
- Provides documentation for payroll, 401k, and benefit audits; assists in preparing annual 401k 5500 non-discrimination testing.
- Administers stock options database (“Shareworks”).
- Assists in implementing, writing, and maintaining standard operating procedures for Payroll.
- Maintains payroll records in accordance with company and regulatory requirements.
- Other duties as assigned from time to time.
- Highly detailed oriented, self-disciplined, and able to work independently with limited direction to resolve discrepancies and issues.
- Clear written and verbal communication skills to ensure understanding of specific payroll matters.
- Effective interpersonal skills to resolve confidential and often sensitive issues related to compensation with employees.
- Strong and positive work ethic for a growing team environment
Education and Experience:
- BA/BS in Accounting or equivalent experience.
- 5-8 years relevant experience in Accounting and Payroll
- Payroll subject matter expertise to advise the company, including knowledge of best practices regarding taxable fringe benefits, auto allowances, 401k administration, etc.
- Knowledge and skills in Payroll software programs; Coastal (“iSolved”) experience a plus.
- Strong understanding of Federal and multi-state wage and hour regulations and payroll tax-filing procedures.
- Recent hands-on experience with general ledger accounts, including month-end closing processes. Netsuite experience is a plus.
- Sarbanes Oxley (SOX) compliance experience.
- Proficient computer skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.