Senior Clinical Scientist
- South San Francisco, CA
- Start date
- Dec 1, 2021
- Clinical, Clinical Research, Science/R&D, Biotechnology
- Required Education
- Bachelors Degree
- Position Type
- Full time
- Biotech Bay
Senior Clinical Scientist
At Freenome, your work will lead to meaningful and significant clinical study results which support our mission of early detection and intervention in human disease. The Senior Clinical Scientist will be responsible for the development and update of clinical evidence strategies in alignment with Freenome’s mission. Additionally, this role requires familiarity with medical coding/health informatics and will be responsible for a key data curation aspect in ongoing clinical studies. This position will serve as a medical/scientific expert on project teams both within clinical and cross-functionally and requires strong leadership and collaborative skills and the ability to deliver on clinical projects as part of a fast-moving team.
How you’ll contribute:
- Drives clinical evidence strategies and study objectives to meet business needs; including research and interface with key functional areas in order to align on clinical strategy (marketing, regulatory, development and reimbursement)
- Gathers and ensures incorporation of clinical insight and knowledge in clinical documents, such as clinical protocol, clinical study report, as well as other cross-functional deliverables
- May be required to interpret results of clinical investigations, as well as to conduct literature reviews in preparation for new studies, investigational reports, strategic plannings, and regulatory submissions; ensures consistent application of key study learnings and results
- Self-seeks and participates in training to enhance the knowledge base and shares relevant learnings with the wider team
- Collaborates with other team members (such as medical writer, biostatistician) on technical documents with emphasis on data aspects
- Builds process and conducts regular and detailed reviews of medical coding/health information for clinical studies; coordinates reviews with appropriate stakeholders
- Works on company and / or departmental initiatives such as the creation of standard operating procedures
What you’ll bring:
- Experience in clinical research study processes and study design following Good Clinical Practices and regulatory standards.
- Advanced degree (e.g., MS, MA, MPH, PharmD, Ph.D., DVM, MD or BSN, MSN, RN, LPN) with at least 2 years experience supporting industry-sponsored clinical research. Will consider Bachelor’s degree commensurate with experience level.
- 5+ years of clinical science and data experience, clinical data curation experience preferred. At minimum working knowledge of medical coding/health informatics.
- Scientifically / medically adept (knowledge of IVD, medical device regulation, trial design, clinical cancer therapy)
- Must have strong problem solving and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong prioritization and organizational skills with a commitment to following through
- Avid learner with an agile mindset
- Penchant for working in a fast-paced environment
Freenome has adopted a COVID-19 vaccination policy to safeguard the health and well-being of our employees. As a condition of employment, our employees working on-site are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law.
Freenome is on a mission to empower everyone with the tools they need to detect, treat, and ultimately prevent cancer.
We have pioneered the most comprehensive multiomics platform for early cancer detection through a routine blood draw. By combining deep expertise in molecular biology with advanced computational biology and machine learning techniques to recognize disease-associated patterns among billions of circulating, cell-free biomarkers, we are developing simple and accurate blood tests for early cancer detection and integrating the actionable insights into health systems to operationalize a machine learning feedback loop between care and science.
Our recent $270 Million Series C brings our financing to over $500 million from investors, including; Bain Capital, Perceptive Advisors, RA Capital, Polaris Partners, Andreessen Horowitz, funds and accounts advised by T. Rowe Price Associates, Inc., GV (formerly Google Ventures), Roche Venture Fund, Kaiser Permanente Ventures, American Cancer Society’s BrightEdge Ventures, Data Collective Venture Capital, Novartis and Verily Life Sciences.
Freenome is building technology to advance the understanding of cancer through multiple analytes derived from blood. These signals include cell-free DNA, methylation of cell-free DNA, cell-free RNA, circulating proteins, and immune profiling derived from thousands of prospective samples. By developing novel statistical learning methods and applying them to integrate various -omics datasets, Freenome is a leader in modeling specific biological mechanisms to capture disease-dependent signatures, including gene expression, immune response, tumor burden, the tissue of origin, and 3D chromatin structure.
By building comprehensive discovery datasets and modeling critical biological systems, Freenome is learning what biological changes are present within the blood between a variety of different disease states, including cancer, autoimmune disorders, infections, drug response, and aging. The synthesis of Freenome’s datasets, cross-functional technical expertise, and audacious mission to discover biological truth, we seek to improve the lives of millions through early detection and early treatment of disease.
Freenomers are technical, creative, visionary, grounded, empathetic, and passionate. We build teams around divergent expertise, allowing us to solve problems and ascertain opportunities in unique ways. Freenomers are some of the most talented experts in their fields, joining together to advance healthcare, one breakthrough at a time.
We value empathy, integrity, and trust in one another, and we respect the diverse perspectives of our colleagues and those we serve. We assume positive intent and give each other the benefit of the doubt with the firm belief that we are a team working toward the same objectives. We believe in empowering and supporting each other in a collaborative and dynamic environment.
What does a successful person look like at Freenome?
Those who thrive at Freenome prioritize, manage, and execute their own goals with ownership and alignment with those of the company. They embrace our values of empathy, integrity, striving for greatness, servant leadership, trust, and holding themselves and their team accountable to these values. They crave collaboration with brilliant minds from disparate fields of study and believe that hiring and mentorship are fundamental to our success. Above all, they welcome and provide constructive feedback and criticism, trusting in others’ good intentions, and being secure in knowing that embracing mistakes is the best way to learn and grow. For those who pursue challenges, understudied problems, and want the opportunity to see their work impact the lives of millions of people affected by cancer every year, there’s no better place to be than Freenome.
Freenome is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law.
Freenome is a high growth biotech company on a mission since 2014 to create tools that empower everyone to prevent, detect, and treat their disease.
To achieve this mission, Freenome is developing next-generation blood tests to detect cancer in its earliest, most treatable stages using our multiomics platform and machine learning techniques. Our first blood test will detect early-stage colorectal cancer and advanced adenomas.
We have raised more than $1.1B from leading investors including Andreessen Horowitz, Bain Capital, GV, Roche Venture Fund, Kaiser Permanente Ventures, American Cancer Society’s BrightEdge Ventures, Novartis, Verily, and more.
A ‘Freenomer’ is a mission-driven employee who is fueled by the opportunity to make a positive impact on patients' lives, who thrives in a culture of respect and cross collaboration, and whose work makes a significant impact on the company and their career.
- (650) 446-6630
279 East Grand Avenue
South San Francisco
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert