Application Development Scientist - Automation & Liquid Handling (NGS)
magine a world where you could detect health issues sooner to treat them more effectively. Where food and water are always safe, even in remote corners of the earth. And where scientific and medical research are enhanced to solve the greatest challenges of our times. At PerkinElmer, we imagine this world every day. Then, we innovate and collaborate to make it happen everywhere.
Our dedicated team of about 14,000 employees worldwide, pioneers scientific technologies for better detection, imaging, and informatics to help our customers work to create healthier families, improve the quality of life, and sustain the well-being and longevity of people globally.
If you are seeking a meaningful, impactful, and stimulating career, look no further.
The Application Development Scientist provides expertise on the programming and integration of liquid handlers primarily for the NGS market. They will have a thorough understanding of the software, hardware, features, and capabilities of automation workstations along with an understanding of NGS. This expertise is applied toward the development and optimization of specific protocols (applications) that can be installed and run on various liquid handling workstations. The position involves working both independently and as part of a team that may include customers, field applications, mechanical engineers, software engineers, biochemists and/or molecular biologists, and project managers.
The individual is expected to support the global PerkinElmer automation business by expanding customer solutions for NGS, working as necessary with technical support to troubleshoot customer issues, and providing training and marketing material for new application capabilities they develop. Candidate should be detail oriented, passionate, and self-motivated individual who wants to make a difference in the field of innovative, next generation healthcare products.
The role is critical in the development and support of global field application specialists & the PerkinElmer sales team. Working with key commercial entities, you will craft automation methods & workflows that will be disseminated globally, allowing PerkinElmer to support customers with novel and proven automation methods for NGS
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop user friendly, pre-programmed applications that execute complex NGS sample preparation protocols that are able to be run by laboratory personnel who have little experience running or programming liquid handlers.
- Design and execute validation test plans including processing samples and generating run reports and application notes.
- Understand, recommend, and integrate new software and hardware technologies to improve the NGS solutions provided to customers.
- Work with engineers and software developers to define requirements for instrument capabilities to improve and build new types of applications and solutions.
- Support new product development by designing and executing test protocols to ensure that new instruments meet user requirements and perform to specifications.
- 10-20% travel to support FAS teams and customers with training and troubleshooting.
- Assist in the writing of application notes and white papers related to work complete and help market solutions.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Biology, Genomics, Biomedical Engineering.
- 1+ years of experience with automated instrumentation.
- Minimum 2+ years industry experience working with instrument development.
- Lab Automation Experience including liquid handling (preferably PerkinElmer products), PCR, nucleic acid extractions and general molecular biology laboratory techniques
- Experience with a range of molecular biology techniques including NGS sample preparation, NA purification, quantification and normalization, PCR and qPCR reaction set up.
- Laboratory experience with molecular biology, biochemistry, cell biology, or related field with ability to independently follow experimental protocols and interpret/present results in a clear and concise manner.
- Programming experience in VBScript/VBA desired
- Competency with Microsoft Office software
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills are essential.
- High level of commitment and initiative
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Physical Requirements (if applicable):
- Physically capable of working in a laboratory environment
- Potential exposure to blood borne pathogens as there is some work completed in the BSL2 lab.
- Per COVID-19 safety protocol, masks are required to be worn while in lab/office spaces.