Executive Director, Head of Cardiovascular Research
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Biology Research group at BioMarin is seeking a Head of Cardiovascular Research / CV Therapeutic Area Head (Executive Director-level role) with extensive experience researching genetic / inherited cardiac diseases in the context of evaluating and advancing novel therapeutics.
The Head of Cardiovascular Research will lead and develop a portfolio of early CV programs, targeting the underlying causes of genetic heart diseases, including an AAV-based program in early development for MYBPC3 hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, in partnership with DiNAQOR. The Head of Cardiovascular Research / Therapeutic Area Head will lead and guide a team of CV-focused scientists and project teams to advance early-stage programs to critical milestones and research inflection points. He/she will also play a key role in partnering with cross-functional teams within BioMarin, including Discovery Medicine, Product and Portfolio Development, Commercial, Manufacturing, Business Development, and IP.
The successful candidate will have a strong background in cardiovascular physiology, pharmacology and drug discovery and development, with demonstrated experience in the field of cardiovascular genetics and/or precision medicine for CV diseases. The candidate will interact with the Research and Early Development Leadership Team and Executive Leadership team to provide critical updates on the CV portfolio and specific programs.
- Strategic planning
- Set the vision and mission and strategy and operational plan for the TA, in partnership with core cross-functional partners
- Set nr-, mid- and long-term strategic goals, operational plans; catalyze scenario planning at the TA and program levels
- Evaluation of new projects and external assets
- Partner with BD, internal R&D teams and cross-functional WWRD teams to evaluate new project concepts, technologies and assets for consideration of licensing / acquisition and initiation of new, internal programs.
- Build a cohesive team of core partners within Research & Early Development (RED) and the TA to enable efficient, global asset / technology / new project concept evaluations
- Management and governance of the Therapeutic Area early research portfolio
- Provide strategic support, guidance and oversight to existing programs within the TA, through effective partnerships with Project Team Leaders and core groups within RED
- Facilitate project evaluations / reviews at key inflection points, including to RED and WWRD Leadership Teams
- Effectively collaborate with other core functions, including Finance, Legal, IP, and Commercial
- Team building and cross-functional partnering
- Build and lead a cohesive TA-centric research team from across the RED organization
- Build and enable strong, productive partnerships across RED and WWRD, including with Discovery Medicine, Project and Portfolio Development, BD, Manufacturing
- Drive TA-centric thought leadership to support BMRN’s early R&D initiatives and programs
- Provide senior scientific leadership and guide the strategic direction of the company’s efforts in the Genetic Cardiology therapeutic area, including developing and evaluating new internal and external therapeutic opportunities
- Manage, mentor and guide a focused team of in vitro / in vivo cardiovascular scientists
- Collaborate with various BioMarin functions, CROs, university or analytical laboratories, business partners, as necessary to ensure appropriate/timely progression of projects
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to build/foster productive cross-functional collaborations both within and external to BioMarin
- Required: Ph.D. with strong experience in cardiovascular research and cardiovascular physiology, pharmacology or a related subject area.
- M.D. or M.D. / Ph.D. physician-scientist, with a major focus in basic cardiovascular research preferred
Education & Experience Level:
- PhD or equivalent relevant experience plus 12+ years industry experience
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.