Scientist - Small Molecule Assay Development
Recursion is a clinical-stage biotechnology company decoding biology by integrating technological innovations across biology, chemistry, automation, data science and engineering to radically improve the lives of patients and industrialize drug discovery. Our team is working to solve some of the hardest, most meaningful problems facing human health today. Come join us in our mission to decode biology to radically improve lives, while doing the most impactful work of your life.
The Impact You’ll Make
- Lead cross-functional efforts to scale phenotypic screens for small-molecule discovery from the benchtop to our automated High Throughput Screening (HTS) platform.
- Design and implement scalable workflows to run complex biological assays using automated liquid handlers, microscopes, and robotic workcells in a state-of-the-art phenotypic screening lab.
- Innovate to optimize and qualify assay conditions to run new phenotypic screens on our High Throughput Screening platform. Ensure that assays run robustly from initial assay characterization through SAR.
- Communicate across diverse scientific and technical disciplines, including biology, chemistry, data science, and automation engineering.
The Team You’ll Join
You’ll join the Innovation and Scale-up team inside Recursion’s Core Operations Department. This team supports Recursion’s High Throughput Screening (HTS) efforts by improving our existing operations, monitoring screening performance to ensure robustness, enabling innovative new screening technologies and deploying new assays onto the HTS platform. As a scientist focused on Small Molecule Assay Development, you will work across Recursion’s organization to bring scalable phenotypic assays for lead chemistry discovery in HTS. This role is core to our success in small molecule discovery and therapeutic advancement at Recursion.
The Experience You’ll Need
- Ability to communicate and understand requirements from experts across diverse disciplines including data science, chemistry and biology
- Demonstrated ability to develop and qualify robust cell-based assays. Experience with fibrotic indications (respiratory, liver or kidney) is highly desirable.
- Ability to lead cross functional assay scale up efforts involving scientists, engineers and other technical experts.
- Experience approaching laboratory problems with an engineering mindset using statistical process control, and data analysis techniques to guide quality and efficiency
- Experience working with complex laboratory instrumentation and SBS standard microplates highly preferred
- Requires a Masters or above in Biology, Biotechnology, Bioengineering or related field (relevant industry experience highly desirable)
The Benefits/Perks You’ll Enjoy as a Full-Time Employee at Recursion:
- 100% Coverage of health, vision, and dental insurance premiums
- 401(k) with generous matching (immediate vesting)
- Stock option, restricted stock unit (RSUs) and employee stock purchase plan (ESPP) programs
- Two one-week paid company closures (summer and winter)
- Flexible vacation/sick leave
- Generous paid parental leave (including adoptive)
- Onsite daycare facility** (Salt Lake City)
- Commuter benefit and vehicle parking to ease your commute**
- Complimentary chef-prepared lunches and well-stocked snack bars** (Salt Lake City)
- Monthly fitness/wellness stipend
- One-of-a-kind 100,000 square foot headquarters complete with a 70-foot climbing wall, showers, lockers, and bike parking** (Salt Lake City)
**United States based employees
More About Us
Central to our mission is the Recursion Operating System, or Recursion OS, that combines an advanced infrastructure layer to generate what we believe is one of the world’s largest and fastest-growing proprietary biological and chemical datasets and the Recursion Map, a suite of custom software, algorithms, and machine learning tools that we use to explore foundational biology unconstrained by human bias and navigate to new biological insights which may accelerate our programs. We are a biotechnology company scaling more like a technology company. Recursion is proudly headquartered in Salt Lake City.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.