Senior Research Associate, Gene Therapy Research
About the role
Sana Biotechnology is looking to expand our team with enthusiastic individuals to forward our novel targeted gene therapy platform. You will be working in a vibrant research environment with cross-functional connections to technical operations and gene therapy groups. You would work to advance the creative vision around our gene therapy platform with an emphasis on making gene therapies accessible to all patients who need them. This role reports to the Associate Director, Protein Engineering.
What you’ll do
Develop Sana gene therapy platform and build analytical understanding of its mechanisms of action.
- Perform hypothesis-driven investigations into mammalian cell biological mechanisms that determine production and potency of our gene therapy platform.
- Execute and coordinate gene therapy vector productions at different scales and in different production systems.
- Coordinate with assay development teams for characterization of novel vectors and work collaboratively to connect changes in vector activity and compositions to production variables.
- Execute activity measurements of gene therapy vectors utilizing high-throughput automation for mammalian cell transduction readouts (including flow cytometry and imaging techniques).
- Understand and apply relevant scientific literature to the design of experimental protocols.
- Maintenance of detailed electronic lab notebook and registration of constructs and biologics.
- Following Standard Operating Procedures and developing new protocols when necessary.
What we’re looking for
Bachelors plus 3+ years laboratory experience in an academic or industry setting, or Masters Degree in related field (Biology, Biochemistry, Engineering) with at least 1+ years with laboratory experience in an academic or industry setting.
- A strong self-starter, independent thinker, with a strong attention to detail.
- Advanced experience with mammalian cell culture.
- Well versed in a wide array of laboratory techniques, with emphasis on mammalian cell culture methods, and experienced in their use.
- Experienced with interpersonal skills and an ability to adapt communication style to interact effectively across teams.
What will separate you from the crowd
- Experience with viral vector productions at different scales.
- Experienced with flow cytometry.
- Demonstrated ability in working in a fast-paced, collaborative, and technical environment.
- Understanding of mammalian molecular biology and cell biology.
What you should know
- Carrying, handling and reaching for objects up to 25 lbs
- Prolonged standing and/or sitting
- Exposure to hazardous/toxic/dangerous chemicals
- Manual dexterity required to operate office and lab equipment
- Working safely in person on a predictable and regular in-person basis is an essential job function for this position, and the Company requires that all individuals working in-person be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including receipt of a vaccine booster shot if recommended by the CDC
How we work together
- Lead from every seat – we seek to understand, act with honesty, and engage in the crucial conversations
- Thrive as a team – we hire amazing people, are intensely curious, and cultivate inclusion and personal connectivity
- Make it happen – we value vigorous debate, alignment around our decisions, and resilient execution
Get to know us
At Sana, we believe that a diverse workforce strengthens us as a company and helps us to achieve our mission to meaningfully change the outcome of many human diseases. This belief is a pillar of our business and is critical to our success. Our goal is that Sana is the place for talented people to bring their authentic selves to work, to have a great career and to deeply, positively impact patients.
Core to our values, we believe there is nothing more important than the health and wellness of you and your family. For benefit eligible employees, we cover 100% of the cost for employee health coverage and offer generous time-off, parental leave, short- and long-term disability, financial wellness programs, a 401(k) Plan, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, commuter subsidy and a variety of wellness offerings to support each person individually.
We are committed to providing a workplace free of discrimination and harassment based on race, color, religion, age, gender, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental or sensory disability (including the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability), genetic information, actual or perceived HIV or Hepatitis C infection, medical condition (cancer or a record or history of cancer and genetic characteristics), marital status, sexual orientation, sexual preference, pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions), disability, veteran status, political ideology, taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
To perform this job successfully, you must be able to perform each job responsibility satisfactorily. The job description listed above is representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required for this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions described above.